Auto Punch (aka HAL 9000) trying to ruin me!!

grumblepig

Maybe it's eternal User Error on my part, but I do NOT understand Auto Punch in Logic. It seems to have a mind of its own as to when it comes on and where it wants to start and end. The song I was working on today needed a quick keyboard bit on the final chorus. I started recording, but saw Auto Punch had kicked in. I just went with it because it was going to be such an easy job. Turns out Auto Punch decided to punch out around bar 23,000. The song had previously ended at bar 97.

Even sometimes when I give in to Auto Punch's insistence on being part of the act, I'll try to set an end point. This doesn't seem to phase our relentless friend.

Is there a way to completely and totally disable Auto Punch in Prefs that I'm just oblivious to? Is there a way to physically remove the Auto Punch function? If I give up on Logic and go back to Pro Tools, will Auto Punch know? Will it follow me back to PT?

Forgive my rather coffee-inspired frustration here, but I've been trying to understand and/or live with Auto Punch's mysterious ways forever and I'm not getting any closer to anything other than possible madness! Help!1053374816_ScreenShot2021-06-27at11_25_42AM.thumb.png.a0afc9d9cf12c707eb29210e40217cc2.png

335645466_ScreenShot2021-06-27at3_03_36PM.thumb.png.f79d86d9ae80fa836f2c81119e39ff68.pngApologies for the vague screenshot. I posted that to show that my song had been extended - thanks to Auto Punch - by tens of thousands of measures.

Here's a screenshot of my current Prefs. If I'm remembering correctly, when I've had Autopunch turned OFF in Prefs, it would still sometimes activate itself, but I wouldn't have access to it via the main panel as I do now.

I'm more than happy to discover I'm doing something idiotic, but honestly, it's been months now of battling with Autopunch and I'm at a real loss.

I don't generally work from templates.

I wish I could better describe my problem, but that's part of the problem!

I assume Autopunch is meant to behave as the user wishes, but my generally intuitive way of working really don't work with Autopunch, and neither can I make enough sense of the seemingly few options for control of Autopunch functions.

I can do all that - I do use Autopunch sometimes by choice. I just don't understand why it seems to self-activate at times when I don't want it to, and I don't know why it sets a range I didn't specify. And with that said, I don't understand how to keep it from coming on when I don't wish it to.

I just don't understand why it seems to self-activate at times when I don't want it to, and I don't know why it sets a range I didn't specify.

I you have a Marquee selection when you press record, Autopunch is automatically turned on and an Autopunch area matching the Marquee selection will automatically be created.

That sounds like part of what's going on. Any idea why, when recording an Instrument track the other day, Autopunch added 20,000 measures to the song?

That could happen if you create a 1 pixel wide Marquee selection. Meaning that, basically, you just click the Marquee tool. Then that defines a punch in point but no punch out point. Which can be useful when you want to punch in at a specific location but don't know where you want to punch out.