Installing Multiple Releases of LPX on The Same Machine

Ocorra

Hi all!

Can anyone guide me on the latest workflow for updating Logic but keeping the old version of the application on the same machine? I'm on 10.5.1 and would like to install 10.6.2 on my laptop - but I also want be able to open 10.5.1 if I need to in the future.

Thanks a lot,

Dave.

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Sorry for the delayed reply - only just getting round to this now. So I've renamed Logic Pro X 10.5.1 to 'Logic Pro X v10.5.1' by going to Finder >> Applications and just renaming it there. When I go to the App Store though, the only option I have for Logic Pro X is to 'Update'. Don't I want a fresh install of the latest version (10.6.3), as opposed to updating my current version?

Cheers,

Dave.

So I've renamed Logic Pro X 10.5.1 to 'Logic Pro X v10.5.1' by going to Finder >> Applications and just renaming it there. When I go to the App Store though, the only option I have for Logic Pro X is to 'Update'. Don't I want a fresh install of the latest version (10.6.3), as opposed to updating my current version?

Just make a copy of the Logic Pro app and rename only the copy, leaving the original untouched. Next time you update via the App Store, only the original app will be updated, and not the copy.

I used to compress older Logic versions but I find that it's not necessary and only wastes time when you need to open one fo them. Now I just keep the different Logic versions listed in my app folder, ready to open whenever I need them (the one named Logic Pro is the current one, 10.6.3 — when 10.6.4 comes out I'll duplicate it, rename the copy "Logic Pro 10.6.3", and update).

1223849281_ScreenShot2021-09-27at10_28_37.png.e66fe1489752673ddabcb1599f229a99.png

Ahhh yes, of course - make a copy. Didn't think of that!

Cheers David!

You're welcome Ocorra! :)

I cannot confirm that. I have witnessed the App Store overwriting "Logic Pro X Leave Me The F... Alone.app" with he new version, so I advise to ZIP the current version before updating.

Yeah you're pushing it though Christian, taunting the App Store like that. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
I cannot confirm that. I have witnessed the App Store overwriting "Logic Pro X Leave Me The F... Alone.app" with he new version, so I advise to ZIP the current version before updating.

Well what do you know: I just experienced what you described here. I updated to Logic Pro 10.7 and instead of updating "Logic Pro" it decided to update "Logic Pro 10.6.2" — overwriting that version in the process. Not a big deal, but ... well folks, Christian is correct, if you want to make sure the App Store doesn't update any random Logic version you have on your disk, best to zip the older ones first.

Well, actually. I just made a copy and renamed it slightly, then let the app store overwrite the original. That worked for me.

The only thing about compressing…if I want to open a project in one of the older versions of Logic, won’t I have to unzip the application again? Or do you mean just compress it once while the app store does its thing, then unzip it again and leave it?

I compress Logic as soon as it is installed. I save the compressed copy "elsewhere". I expand the version of Logic when required, and place it in Applications with a name that contains the version number.

You need to keep the application safe from the update process.

Well, actually. I just made a copy and renamed it slightly, then let the app store overwrite the original. That worked for me.

That worked for me too, for many years... until this 10.7 update yesterday. I had in my App folder:

Logic Pro

Logic Pro 10.6.1

Logic Pro 10.6.2

Logic Pro 10.6.3

... where "Logic Pro" was the original Logic Pro 10.6.3 copy. When updating to 10.7 the App Store proceeded to update Logic Pro 10.6.2 to Logic Pro 10.7, leaving me with two copies of Logic Pro 10.6.3 and no copy of Logic Pro 10.6.2. So I guess from now on I'll keep a zipped copy somewhere safe: either in the App folder or, if I want to make space, on a backup drive.

The original remains unchanged by the ZIPing process, with the resulting ZIP file right next to it. So you'll have both the original and the ZIP file.

In case the App Store messes with that original, you can unZIP the archive and thus end up again with the original and its ZIP file.

Got it, got it. Sweet. Cheers for that!