What's the best way to start fresh with a full-up project?

grumblepig

What I mean is, I have a song that's thick with tracks - audio, MIDI, samples etc. I've done my best to consolidate/clean up/delete unused tracks etc, but what I'd like to do at this point is start fresh. The song has become quite the albatross.

I'd been having lots of issues with crashing and slow performance etc, and with the help of folks from this forum, most of those problems have been sorted. But the song is still a mess, sonically (too many remaining options) and psychologically. A step in the right direction today saw me bounce down the basic backing track, and import it into a new project. I did a handful of lead vocals, one after the next. My head was so much lighter with this approach, but I'll still need access to everything in that backing track.

Should I create a blank project and import only the tracks I know I need or do I create a template and then do the same? Or is there some other way that I'm not aware of? One way or other, I'm looking for the cleanest path. Like, is it better to import tracks as-is, or to do a BIP? Etc...

Any help is appreciated...

Thanks!

you could start with an empty project, and import (file>import logic projects) and bring in JUST what you want? (in terms of parts, effects, etc); you can always do this again if you need to bring in any other parts later.

the big benefit here is... you retain control. you can still edit midi parts, effects... etc, vs working with bounced audio files.

keep it simple; decide what you really need. import those things, and get back to work.

Sounds easy enough! Thanks!

Will effects and settings transfer over when I import? (I should know all this already, but...)

you will find options; to import plugins, effects, the content itself, automation... choose what you want to retain, and you should be good to go.

Heya - I'm not sure where/how to find these options. When I try to import from Logic Projects, I'm given the choice of all the files I want, but when I click Add, the files are added to the start of the project, with no option for including effects etc.

I'm including three screen shots - one of the Logic project in question, the one I wish to use as a clean start on a very messy song, and two Pro Tools screen shots. (PT is what I'm far more familiar with.) The Logic screen shows only the first track I've imported. The track isn't meant to sit at the front of the song and no effects have been imported. The small Pro Tools screen shot shows that I'm given the option where I want an imported file to land (Session Start, Selection etc). The second, larger PT screen shows the Session Data window. I'd import Session Data if I wanted my files to include effects and volume/pan etc info. Is there an equivalent that I'm not finding in Logic? An option that will import tracks from one Logic Project into another with effects, volume, panning and placement info included?

(EDIT - I've discovered the Edit>Move>To Recorded Position option, but I'd still love to have my tracks land where they're meant to be as part of the import process if possible...)

567592657_ScreenShot2021-07-03at8_26_10AM.png.f91116767a275aa0c35297d1f483ab52.png1784038289_ScreenShot2021-07-03at8_21_02AM.thumb.png.1eee9d41f3a1b6e5c400b286fd221121.png700080450_ScreenShot2021-07-03at8_33_46AM.thumb.png.8e59e256b4e00417eb12dded4a3fbf0b.png

Edited by grumblepig

not in front of my mac. are you opening a NEW project, and going to file>import>logic projects? then you point to the project you want to access, and there's a window that offers 'content' "plugins' "automation' etc.

it should be simple; follow the prompts.

otherwise, time for someone else to jump in and help.....

Thanks for this... looks promising!!

I was seeing all sorts of plugin, panning, volume etc options come up in an Export window, but not with the Import window. I'll take a look at the Apple page and try my luck again. (After the second half and before the next match!)

Fisherking, Stratquebec - thanks to both of you. Slowly it's making sense and coming together.

Now, I'm STILL having the "blooming" problem that I mentioned in a separate thread and i've watched the file size for one of the Projects jump from 1 to 4GB while importing to this new version of the song at hand... but that's for another day!!

For now, I'm getting the hang of importing tracks and settings separately. That's quite handy, as I want a clean start with this song. Hearing it with zero plugins is refreshing.