how to get more accurate automation points?

SoSpiro
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

when i'm clicking and dragging my automation, i'm trying to go for an even number with the pitch parameter. it goes from the weirdest increments when i have the arrangement zoomed in to the smallest it can be though. I want to use whole numbers, but it is going from 7.92 to 7.20 with the slightest drag. how am i supposed to go from 7 to 8? does logic have a feature where i can just type the number in instead?

2135410466_ScreenShot2021-07-03at2_17_55PM.png.51530429ecd2eae53e5c58b6bc97627e.png

212554376_ScreenShot2021-07-03at2_17_51PM.png.4a9973df1e54cb6a4667e16f7f2f75cc.png

What are you automating? If it's a plugin parameter, you can use the control on the plugin to set the exact value. many plugins have controls you can double-click and type values in...

using soundtoys little alterboy.

You can type in the value, but that would not work for automating.

What difference does it make if you are setting a precise automation value by manually dragging an automation point, to setting a precise automation value by manually setting the same parameter in the plugin?

well i am not near my computer right now, but i guess i assumed that changing the value in the plug in would work, but not for real live "touch" or "latch" automation. have you tried this method personally?

What difference does it make if you are setting a precise automation value by manually dragging an automation point, to setting a precise automation value by manually setting the same parameter in the plugin?

so i'm actually using kontakt, and the only automation for the kontakt parameters that work for me are host automation with hardware controlled assigned knobs. i can't get a fine tuned point with hardware when it makes such big jumps. I've tried entering the value manually in latch mode in a live manner, and that doesn't work. it does not print the automation on the track, like i suspected.

When dragging the automation point, have you tried doing same while holding the Ctrl (or Shift + Ctrl) modifier keys (on your computer keyboard)?

this only "shapes" or "bends" between two automation points, but doesn't allow you to change the automation parameter uniformly. it becomes a slope.

• Solution
this only "shapes" or "bends" between two automation points, but doesn't allow you to change the automation parameter uniformly. it becomes a slope.

That's the behavior you get when dragging a line between two automation points. If you drag an automation point vertically, holding down Control gives you more resolution.

That's the behavior you get when dragging a line between two automation points. If you drag an automation point vertically, holding down Control gives you more resolution.

oh! i didn't realize you had to click and hold the automation line THEN press ctrl. i'd press ctrl first and a menu would pop up so i was doing it wrong. thank you.

• 3 weeks later...
Yes! And incidentally, it's Control-Shift that you have to hold in order to bend/curve a slope. I'm adding that information in case someone else is reading this and trying to do the curves with only the Control key.

is there some automation data that cannot be fine tuned? i ran into this issue again in the OP and am getting the same increments whenever i click + ctrl and drag the automation points.

is there some automation data that cannot be fine tuned? i ran into this issue again in the OP and am getting the same increments whenever i click + ctrl and drag the automation points.

Yes. Different automation parameters have a different range of values possible. Can you share an example of what automation parameter you're working with?

Yes. Different automation parameters have a different range of values possible. Can you share an example of what automation parameter you're working with?

i have Komplete Kontrol loaded in an instrument track. within KK, i have Battery 4 loaded. In Battery 4, i was automating the "tune" parameter. The parameter went from 12.08 to 12.72 even when i click + ctrl and dragged with the most zoomed in window possible :-/