Audio disrupted when scrolling through or selecting tracks

AMD

Hi everyone.

I'm having an issue with 10.6.2 that I've never had before. With a project playing and no tax on the cpu, ram or ssd: when I scroll through tracks using the up and down arrow keys or select individual tracks with the mouse, the audio playback is disrupted for a fraction of a second each time a track is selected. It happens regardless of whether I'm using my audio interface or system audio. I've tried changing buffer sizes etc, but nothing changes. I'm not sure if it's Logic or my laptop.

If anyone has come across similar, please let me know.

Do have "input monitoring for selected tracks" enabled in Logic's preferences?

Hi Triplets. Thanks for your reply. The problem happens intermittently and sometimes not at all. I couldn't find the exact pref you mentioned, but included a screenshot with 'Input monitoring only for the focused track...' is deselected. Is that the one you mean?

59796063_Screenshot2021-07-06at20_00_21.png.6e433b1ae5815bc3ed14d23920b279ec.png

The problem happens intermittently and sometimes not at all. I couldn't find the exact pref you mentioned, but included a screenshot with 'Input monitoring only for the focused track...' is deselected. Is that the one you mean?

Yup, that's the one I mean.

So if this behavior is pretty random, that's harder to pinpoint.

Where do you save your projects?

The problem happens intermittently and sometimes not at all. I couldn't find the exact pref you mentioned, but included a screenshot with 'Input monitoring only for the focused track...' is deselected. Is that the one you mean?

Yup, that's the one I mean.

So if this behavior is pretty random, that's harder to pinpoint.

Where do you save your projects?

Hi Triplets. Projects are saved on my mac SSD, but all assets and samples etc are on a USB 3.0 Samsung portable HD. As I mentioned, this only started happening since the update to 10.6.2. However, my laptop is quite old, so I was thinking that it might be struggling to cope with the updates etc.

It's actually a 5400 spinning

Ahh, that might be your problem. That speed is great for backup, but not real-time playback.

Even at USB 3 speeds?

Prior to the Samsung drive, I had a Lacie 5400rpm connected via FW800. It was a superb drive. The only reason I upgraded was that the Lacie was full. Maybe I should have gotten another Lacie and not a Samsung.

I'm still a bit puzzled as to why the problem has only appeared since the 10.6.2 update. As it happens, I do need a new backup drive, so maybe I'll use the Samsung for that and get a 7200rpm for my audio drive and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post Triplets.

Even at USB 3 speeds?

It doesn't matter. A spinning drive never reaches the USB 3 maximum, let alone a 5400 rpm one.

Logic loads everything into Ram on project opening, but any subsequent streaming from disk needs to be quick enough.

Understood. Maybe I'll get an SSD. Thanks.