Logic Pro and Mac Mini?

rycwdstn

I have a mini and its just great. I got 64gb ram and a lot of external ssd drives (5tb). It really depends on what you wanna do, but it always run smoothly also on big projects. If you use big sample libraries and wanna do orchestral music you probably need two computer, but just for normal music production a mini is perfect

I bought a basic Mini model in January for my wife, but also to test it for Logic and my 3rd party plugins. Almost everything is working well now, so I ordered another Mini with 16gb RAM and a TB SSD. I would recommend the 16gb RAM option, and as much storage as you can afford. The basic Mini ran projects that usually gave me an overload message first pass playing it. Seems a lot faster than the iMac in my sig. And it runs as cool and quiet as its reputation says it does.

Bottom line is, there are 2 Minis going to be here capable of running Logic that, together, cost less than the iMac in my sig.

(Profane opinion following)

I don't use a Mini, but I would boldly recommend (big >=1TB) SSD drives(s) and lots of RAM (>=32GB). I would opt for an M1 chip since the future is now, unless you mandatory use plugins that will not get updated to run on Big Sur...

Custom MacMini M1

The current M1 can only upgrade to 16GB, where did you see that it can upgrade to 32GB?

Hi all -

I need to replace a defective iMac (very frustrating) and am considering a Mac Mini M1. Is anyone working in Logic with a Mini and can let me know how it is working out? Thanks in advance.

Here's some advice.

Take an inventory of your goto 3rd party AU Instruments/Effects. The ones you can't live without.

Next, see if there's a Universal (M1/Intel) version of those software.

If not, get an Intel.

I have a MacMini M1 and it works great but I'm not using Rosetta 2, I only use Native M1 apps.

Trust me, the Intel Macs aren't going away tomorrow, yes, in the future, but not tomorrow.

You already know your Intel programs are running great, so stick with the Intel.

By next year, I have a feeling you're going to see a majority of programs Universal, at that point, the MacMinis will probably have where you can get more RAM and a faster CPU, at that point, then get a Apple Silicon. :mrgreen:

I use an M1 Mac mini with Logic (and Bitwig) with 16Gb RAM and the base 256Gb SSD, running my projects from an external 1TB SSD. Works like a charm.

The only sample-based plugin I use though is Superior Drummer. Other than that just Arturia V Collection synths, and Amplitube 5. Not much else.

I have lots of sample based stuff on an external SSD: VSL SEs, Omnisphere, ADD2, ADK, Sampletank. They all work perfectly on the M1, even Omni 1, which is no longer supported by Spectrasonics. Innfact, I think the only native software I'm using (besides Logic) is U-He's Hive and the RME driver. It still out performs my iMac.

i don't understand why anyone would invest in an intel mac at this point; everything moves forward, why not go forward?

an M1 mini with 16gb ram should do you well; ram is managed differently on the M1 as well, so that 16GB should go a long way. and you can always use external drives for additional storage, you don't have to go to 1TB (but of course, whatever works for you).

Hi all -

I need to replace a defective iMac (very frustrating) and am considering a Mac Mini M1. Is anyone working in Logic with a Mini and can let me know how it is working out? Thanks in advance.

Using Mac Mini M1 16GB, works very poorly. Logic CONSTANTLY crashes. Lately it even started lagging in one plugin and in the workflow.

Although it works great in Final Cut.

Hi all -

Using Mac Mini M1 16GB, works very poorly. Logic CONSTANTLY crashes. Lately it even started lagging in one plugin and in the workflow.

Although it works great in Final Cut.

you need to troubleshoot this. people on this forum, and elsewhere, are not reporting constant crashes.

which plugin is causing an issue? are all your plugins up-to-date? are you running logic natively, or in rosetta2? what does the crashlog say? and have you considered calling apple for help?

The only problems so far for me have come via oversight on my part. That is, after the monitor issue was solved by a fresh OS install. I have the basic Mini running tight and stable as possible, just have to avoid certain plugins here and there. If I wasn't pleased with the basic model, I would never have invested in the upgraded model, even though I'll probably wince at my decision come November. This unit is enough for my musical application needs. If I get a contract to do the next Avengers score, I'll upgrade. Edited by Glenn Lancaster

I'm very happy with my Mac Mini/M1. I've had various issues with Logic in the months I've been working with the new Mac, but via this forum, I've been able to troubleshoot nearly everything. I can't say any of my issues are to do with the Mac itself in combo with Logic. Certain plug-ins that aren't yet upgraded for the M1 chip have been tricksy, but switching to Rosetta has helped immensely. And again, mad props to the peeps in this forum who have been so helpful. Really, I was well overdue for an upgrade... for the only time in my life, I have current versions of Logic and Pro Tools and a computer that's less than 200 years old. While the combo of so much new tech brings about this problem or that, I embrace "user error" often and am still very pleased to have made the jump to the modern moment.

I go through something like that every 4-5 years. After I set up my computer and DAW, I forget the important parts of the process and have to re-learn something. Even easy things confuse me, like USB A C 2 3?

Even though I'm setting a checklist for things to do (like de-authorize a plugin on one machine so I can use it on another), I'm sure I'll forget something when I wipe my iMac and try to sell it.

Btw im not sure if the newest mac mini only runs the newest osx (big sur) because it just runs 64bit apps and pluggs. Its really s#!+ because i still use a lot of 32bit stuff

They did the 64-only stuff already with Catalina, so if you need 32-bit stuff, stick with Mojave or lower.

(Profane opinion following)

I don't use a Mini, but I would boldly recommend (big >=1TB) SSD drives(s) and lots of RAM (>=32GB). I would opt for an M1 chip since the future is now, unless you mandatory use plugins that will not get updated to run on Big Sur...

Custom MacMini M1

The current M1 can only upgrade to 16GB, where did you see that it can upgrade to 32GB?

I didn't.

I was just making suggestions about desirable specs.

Hence my very first statement (in fine print).