MIDI Controller Automation Recording Saved but Lost Assignments

Prophecy99

I assigned some controls with my midi controller to control a vst effect such as a macro 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , or pitch bend to then be recorded in automation, and now when I opened that project up all of the assignments say unused and when I play the track the automation movements in each lane are there and move and are recorded but they have no assignments. what happened?? I am lost and tried to search around and self diagnose the past 2 hours.

1513520238_ScreenShot2021-07-10at10_11_17PM.thumb.png.1a35d29efa047d0005186b285b967036.png

thanks guys, I couldn't do this with out the help of this forum. thank you.

I just wanna save my automation performance done via controller knobs as anyone would and understand why these were forgotten or erased ??

I come back a week later and the recorded midi movements and automation lanes are there but the assignments are wiped clean =(

Edited by Prophecy99

and why can I not see something so typical like macro 1 in the step editor new lane cc pull down list???

48743240_ScreenShot2021-07-10at10_36_51PM.thumb.png.dd89a768cf97557e12420e940f2ff0e9.png

I set the lanes and midi assignments pretty easily before as you can see and tried two different takes successfully. I was super excited to come back and use midi controlled automation on other projects and and now this time around it has been nothing but a brick wall setting up from scratch and then I go back to refer to my original successful automation recording event and that has the assignments wiped clean as described above which made the situation even more confusing.. hence this thread.. thanks for any help guys

Your Macro1 data isn't MIDI data, thus it won't be listed among the MIDI CCs.

In order to have it appear in the Step Editor, the data has to be inside a region.

• Therefore, move your Macro1 automation from the track to the region. (Main menu Mix > Convert Automation... > ... Track to...Region...)
  • Then in the Event List editor, click to select one of the Macro1 fader event.
  • Finally, In the Step Editor local menu, choose Lane > New Lane Set for Currrent Events.

Thank you Atlas007 for answering the side question. I got the track automation converted to region automation, and now can see Macro 1 listed in the step editor window yet still is not listed in that pull down menu of the lane assignment in inspector, and also it does not show the events in the lane of the step editor?

Also back to my main question, why did I loose controller assignments in a project but still have the automation events and lanes events intact? (I noticed that always had region automation by the way as seen in the first pic)

1071555944_ScreenShot2021-07-11at9_40_40AM.thumb.png.5faf1d8d700847ab86e27b7453e77750.png

• 3 weeks later...
Which (precise) version of Logic are you using?

I'm asking, 'cause it works flawlessly over here...

yea sure! I am using Logic Pro X 10.4.4 on a MacBook Pro Late 2017 with Seirra 10.12.6

I will say I haven't seen the issue occur again, I have made assignments and recorded midi in other projects and repaired the original lost ones and they have remained. so not sure . would faulty hardware ever cause that? I know the knob usually on the 2nd slot is basically faulty. if it is slight turned the tiniest bit it will jump to the extreme end of the parameter settings so like 0% to 100% no in-between . I stopped even assigning things to it because you can't rotate it with out having that issue as it is not usable.

Thanks a ton for the help. This place is the best and I couldn't do this with out this communities help.

I just checked the expert controller assignments view and the values were good, I then checked the other obvious spot and it was the controller hardware cc settings on the actual unit. lt looks like I fixed it there, as it is functioning like a knob again! thanks again! this place is the best