Logic 10.6.3 update + New Features/Enhancements info

jacou

New in Logic Pro 10.6.3:

New Features/Enhancements

• The Plug-in Manager now offers a way to reset Audio Unit caches and perform a rescan of all installed Audio Unit plug-ins.

Stability/Reliability

• Fixes an issue where Logic Pro might unexpectedly quit when loading projects with plug-ins that use PACE/iLok copy protection.

• Resolves an issue where Logic Pro quits unexpectedly when Option-dragging a marquee selection within a folder.

Sampler/Quick Sampler

• Key label sets can now be saved in Sampler.

Mixer

• Resolves delay compensation issues for plug-ins that require look-ahead, and for busses containing plug-ins that are side-chained to tracks.

• Duplicated tracks based on tracks that have a user-defined default patch loaded are now named correctly.

• Audio tracks created by bouncing software instrument tracks in place are now named correctly.

ARA

• ARA edits are now properly retained for saved projects containing muted ARA regions.

Editing

• Fixes an issue where changing Smart Quantize parameters could reset prior edits to note velocities.

not an exciting update !

Then again, when an update has exciting new features, many users complain that the developers should spend more time fixing bugs and stability issues instead of adding exciting new features. ;)

IMO if the side chain delay compensation issue is fixed, then that alone is a rather exciting development.

I've not had time to install it yet (world's slowest broadband here), but I really hope it solves the issue of the Steinberg HALion AU plug-in no longer working in LPX.

I've asked Steinberg about this many times and have been assured it's an Apple problem

does anyone else is having a strange clicks when starting an imac after installing this update? i get weird audio clicks when my imac starts after this install got back to 10.6.2 and the clicks disappear.. strange.,, imac 21.5 late 2015 here.

nothing like that here. clicks from where? your audio interface? try the usual things (boot in safe mode, reboot. and/or reset nvram, the smc).

can't see why a minor update to logic should cause clicks in your audio setup (but also check if you need to update any software for your interface)...

not an exciting update !

Then again, when an update has exciting new features, many users complain that the developers should spend more time fixing bugs and stability issues instead of adding exciting new features. ;)

Indeed, I have said a few times before that I would like to see Apple release an update focused entirely on fixing long standing issues and not new bells and whistles.

So I am not going to say anything negative about this update, I'm going to say well done. I'm sure there'll be some bells & whistles along in due course.

Alan.

Normally, larger updates come with huge lists of fixes. When successive updates come with only a small handful of fixes, it's usually a maintenance thing, fixing some important issues that people are encountering, but that likely development effort is largely focused on the next feature version - whether that's going to be 10.7 or 11, or Logic for iPad or whatever...

not an exciting update !

IMO if the side chain delay compensation issue is fixed, then that alone is a rather exciting development.

+1

Yikes. I don't know if this is the PDC fix or it would have been like this before the update, but I just stuck a sidechain compressor on a channel and the whole project went out of time with PDC set to All. Madness. Works fine if I send the channel to a bus and put the compressor there instead.

Just tried some tests of the sidechain compensation with Logic Compressor, FabFilter Pro C-2, FabFilter Pro-MB, DMG Multiplicity.

Logic Compressor and Pro-C2 are compensated perfectly. The two multibands are not. Not sure if that's a multiband problem? I was sending the kick on Audio 1 to the sidechain and auditioning the sidechain. Then removing output of Audio 1 and bouncing to line up audio. Also got different results for Pro-MB depending on if it was on an audio track or an instrument track. Weird.

Instrument track

Pro-MB 888 samples

Multiplicity 1981 samples

Audio track

Pro-MB 213 samples (early so chopping off beginning of bounce)

Multiplicity 1981 samples

The sidechain PDC issue is almost completely fixed in 10.6.3

You can now place high latency plugins on tracks and buses/auxes in any order before and after sidechain plugins and its synced proprely- IF the actual sidechain plugin is ZERO latency. As soon as you turn on lookahead or some oversampling etc on the actual sidechain plugin- its not synced correctly.

Huge progress, thank you apple team. Would be magical if they could just fix this last issue too. For example soothe 2 always add some latency by itself, so this one's sidechain signal won't be aligned properly.

I just reported this, please everyone do it too.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html