Any tips on creating this modulation effect?

afterthought

I've heard this effect in several songs but I can't seem to perfect it. I'm pretty sure it's a repeating note with automation used to gradually back off a low pass filter but I can't seem to get the clicky, punchy-ness I hear when artists do it. It's hard to describe, but here is a sample. It's at 1:40. I'm using Serum and not sure if I should modulate in there or in Logic. Thanks for any help!

I've faked that effect with an eq spike and automate it to slowly sweep up.

That and the LPF should get that sweep.

If you're talking about getting the knocking sound that is being swept with the EQ and LPF an ultra beat kick or snare with a honking mid eq in it will give you that wooden knock sound.

Just my thoughts. I'm sure theres a million ways to do this.

Drew

I've faked that effect with an eq spike and automate it to slowly sweep up.

That and the LPF should get that sweep.

If you're talking about getting the knocking sound that is being swept with the EQ and LPF an ultra beat kick or snare with a honking mid eq in it will give you that wooden knock sound.

Just my thoughts. I'm sure theres a million ways to do this.

Drew

Yeah that knocking is exactly what I'm talking about. I never knew that you could use a kick to achieve that sound. Would you suggest a slight volume automation on the kick or any other effects? Do I automate the EQ peak of the kick? Thanks!

I would just get a kick or snare sound in Ultrabeat that’s close to what you want. Then spike a frequency in the low mids on the track eq and move it slightly left and right until to get what you want. I only pick ultrabeat because I got a bunch of knocking wood drum sounds in it trying to mimic the drum sounds in Bad Guy.

Again, I’m sure you can get that sound many other ways. It’s got a lot of attack and no decay or sustain afterward.