Recording mod wheel and controller knob data simultaneously

AMD
Go to solution Solved by Atlas007,

Hi everyone.

I'm wondering if I'm approaching this in the correct/most efficient way?

I'd like to record mod wheel and controller knob data for a virtual instrument (Native Instruments FM8) simultaneously. In this case, the knob on my controller is set to switch on an effect in FM8 and the mod wheel will modulate one of the fx parameters.

I've used the 'new track with same instrument command' as I'd like the controller data in a separate region on a separate track. I hit record and as I move my mod wheel, the data is recorded in a separate region on a separate track as expected, but the on/off data from the controller knob doesn't get recorded.

I then enabled Latch automation mode on the track and made another pass. The mod wheel data is recorded in a separate region on a separate track as expected, but the on/off data from the controller knob is recorded on the main instrument track. Is that 'normal' behaviour? Is there a more efficient way to achieve this?

Thanks.

723737010_Screenshot2021-07-16at18_13_18.thumb.png.de02192bc9e000b72da504f922b9d5fd.png

• Solution

According to your posted screen capture, you are recording TBA (track-base-automation), which differs from what you describe aiming at (recording CC in a region (which is known as RBA /region-based-automation).

Additionnally, according to same you are recording in Relative Latch mode, is this intentional?

Have you tried recording automation in Region (and regular Latch mode?

Track based automation is recorded on the track, not in a region, and if multiple tracks are assigned the same object (instrument) then the same track based automation will be visible on both.

I agree with Atlas that recording your automation as region based automation would make it easier for you to view both controls on different tracks at the same time. Like this :

306239185_automationandMIDICC.png.dd60ec03384e22165407ff12fc65020a.png