How to separate takes (live recording boo boo)!

aaronplant
Go to solution Solved by fuzzfilth,

Hello all,

I'm a newbie here on the forum, looking for someone to tell me how to dig myself out of a hole! And before you all start rolling on the floor laughing at my stupidity - in my defence I am a non-professional user - and I now realise what I did wrong...:)

Here's the story - I decided to use Logic Pro to do a recording of my band live at a gig directly from the digital mixer.

Everything was fine until I went back to check the recording at the end of the first set, and guess what? I'd somehow left it recording with a 'loop' defined, which proceeded to split the entire recording into 18 takes, which is not that far off the number of songs in the first set, but not exact.

I removed the loop and recorded the second set after realising my mistake...which worked fine.

My question - is there any way to recover the first set, and copy/paste the second and subsequent takes as if they were continuous sequential recordings?

If so, I might be able to salvage the situation! It seems that all the material is there, but just needs to be pieced back together...?

Really would appreciate any advice or guidance anyone has to offer - only constructive tho! ;)

Feel like such an idiot.

Thanks,

Aaron.

- If these really are Takes (and not regular Regions replacing the previous pass), select the loop-recorded Take Folders and click on the number therein > Flatten to turn them into regular Regions

- Select all Regions across all tracks and drag the Regions far to the right to make room for the first set.

- Select only the short Regions that are the end of the first set.

- Grab the lower left corner of one of these and pull out left to reveal the entire first set.

Hi fuzzfilth :) thank you for your reply. Tried to follow your instructions, which actually revealed quite a bit to me, but wasn't able to fully complete the steps. I was able to confirm that all the recorded tracks each have 18 takes, shown in reverse order. There are three small icons in the top left corner of the comp (don't know what that means) track, the first one (like a play symbol) expands the track to show all 18 takes verticallydown the screen showing like multiple tracks. The second icon (in my case 'A') gives me a popup menu listing the numbered takes, and a small function menu at the bottom, where 'Flatten' is listed. If I choose Take 1 from the list, and then choose from the popup menu again and Flatten, the track turns into a regular audio track of Take 1. If I move it, there's nothing left behind, it just moves right. I got stuck at the next step because once I've done that with all the tracks and move them right, they all just move right. If I select the Bottom left corner of each track and drag it left, it just extends Take 1 left.

Sorry - I realised I am incompetent and I appreciate your help very much. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, I'm not sure?

I'm running Logic Pro 10.6.3 by the way :)

Thank you so much,

Aaron

• Solution

After moving everything far right, you don't choose Take 1, because there is nothing to the left of Take 1. You leave it at Take 18, which is the end of set 1. Then you Flatten all Take Folders in one go, then you can unfold all 17 Takes to the left of Take 18 .

unfold.thumb.gif.466e9ca5c57461c025bc69c5a9434596.gif

Edited by fuzzfilth

If I choose Take 1 from the list, and then choose from the popup menu again and Flatten, the track turns into a regular audio track of Take 1. If I move it, there's nothing left behind, it just moves right. I got stuck at the next step because once I've done that with all the tracks and move them right, they all just move right.

If you have a region with 18 takes (called a take folder), that means you have to copy that exact region 18 times so that when you flatten each take, you're left with the complete sequence of 18 of your loop recording. Make sense?

You can hold down Option on the keyboard and drag to the right to make a copy. You do that 18 times. Then flatten by take number in sequence.

Hopefully I understood this right :shock:

After moving everything far right, you don't choose Take 1, because there is nothing to the left of Take 1. You leave it at Take 18, which is the end of set 1. Then you Flatten all Take Folders in one go, then you can unfold all 17 Takes to the left of Take 18 .

unfold.gif

That makes sense and great little video clip :) I’ll give that a try and see what happens. Really appreciate you telling the time to help :) hopefully that will get me back an editable full recording. And that is easier than I expected so that’s a real win. Loving using Logic! I’m thinking it might be worth getting a decent training package :)

unfold.gif

Hi fuzzfilth, your solution worked very well thank you! I now have all of my first set recordings safely retrieved, and the solution was surprisingly simple once I got the hang of how to do it. Thank Logic for the undo button!!

I really appreciate your help with this - it could have been a disaster, but I'm all good now!

It's a good thing there are people like you willing to help those less experienced...thank you so much!

If I choose Take 1 from the list, and then choose from the popup menu again and Flatten, the track turns into a regular audio track of Take 1. If I move it, there's nothing left behind, it just moves right. I got stuck at the next step because once I've done that with all the tracks and move them right, they all just move right.

If you have a region with 18 takes (called a take folder), that means you have to copy that exact region 18 times so that when you flatten each take, you're left with the complete sequence of 18 of your loop recording. Make sense?

You can hold down Option on the keyboard and drag to the right to make a copy. You do that 18 times. Then flatten by take number in sequence.

Hopefully I understood this right :shock:

Hello triplets,

Many thanks for your contribution to this thread, it was very much appreciated. I got my solution after a little trial and error thanks to all of you.

Regards,

Aaron.

I do know know that when doing this with a singe track, the "takes" are really just regions of a single recorded audio file. Find that audio file and drop it on a new track and there will be a single region containing the entire recording. Never done that with multiple recorded tracks, but I imagine it's the same. Just repeat for each instrument/mic.

In the first screenshot you can see this relationship -- one recording with 1 region per take. In the second screenshot, I've located the recording in finder and dropped onto a new track. TADA! one track with all takes.

490103807_ScreenShot2021-07-26at10_45_43AM.thumb.png.0ca3b119c8a0cb606cfde6bdb517cd32.png

1460375736_ScreenShot2021-07-26at10_46_07AM.thumb.png.3f36890732ddf50068bca1cf32b13432.png

But Fuzz's way works as well.