Does anyone know why this happens? Is this a bug?

anp27
Go to solution Solved by Atlas007,

Revisited Folder Regions today and came across a little snag... it appears that if I name and assign a color to one of the Folder tracks, the other Folder track is named and colored in the exact same way. This isn't what I want to do. I would like for the top Folder track to be named "DRUMS" with the color red and the bottom one to be named "WOODWINDS"

and colored orange. Is anyone else seeing this? What am I doing wrong?

369533968_FolderTracks.thumb.jpg.cdebc9992d7b7b00e873b1ce9b96f0ff.jpg

The color of a track is actually really the color of the MIDI Environment object assigned to that track. It's the same for the name of the channel strip in the Mixer. It seems like while folder tracks aren't (visible) MIDI Environment objects, they behave as such, and all of them use the same object. That's my interpretation of the behavior.

Unfortunately that's the way region folder tracks work in Logic. You can give them different track names, but they all have the same colors and channel strip name.

Oh really? Because I watched a Mac Pro Video with David Earl and he was able to name each folder differently...

Unfortunately that's the way region folder tracks work in Logic. You can give them different track names, but they all have the same colors and channel strip name.

Oh really? Because I watched a Mac Pro Video with David Earl and he was able to name each folder differently...

Folders? Folder tracks? Or folder track channel strips? AFAIK only the former two can be named independently.

Folders? Folder tracks? Or folder track channel strips? AFAIK only the former two can be named independently.

Erm... not sure about the difference between them... here's the video I was talking about:

Erm... not sure about the difference between them... here's the video I was talking about:

Your video isn't about Folders' name, but only about how to prep few tracks (about take folders).

Anyhow the video features both the same name for both of the folders channel strips in the mixer pane (at the bottom left) of the screen...

Anyhow the video features both the same name for both of the folders channel strips in the mixer pane (at the bottom left) of the screen...

Just noticed that, it shows that in the Mixer but in the Main Window it shows 2 different Folder names? 1 DrumBeat and 2 EditBeat

It's not so much a quirk, rather a concept:

Track Stacks always have their own objects (VCAs or Auxes) which affect the Tracks routed through them.

But a Region Folder Track is doing nothing to the Tracks and Regions that play "through" it. All a Region Folder Tracks does (apart from visually bundling its contents) is telling Logic "Hey, here's a bunch of Regions on Tracks to be played, all routings and settings of the Tracks shall remain exactly how they were."

This is different than dragging a Region Folder to another, normal Track. Now all contained Tracks will play through that normal Track's Channel, regardless of the Tracks' settings within the Region Folder.

It's not so much a quirk, rather a concept:.

It is however one of Logic's quirks that there is only one single folder object per Logic project (with only one single associated color, name, and icon) (and that that single object isn't visible in the MIDI Environment).

The result is that if you have multiple folder tracks in the Tracks area, they cannot have independent colors or icons, and the associated channel strips in the Mixer all have the same name.

The Folders can be coloured and named as their content is unique. But the Folder Track itself, which is literally doing nothing and has no parameters didn't occur to me to be uniqe per track, ever.

Anyway, after the horrible bug in Logic 7-ish (?) which caused all kind of corruption inside Region Folders if you simply changed their length, I stopped using them altogether, and Folder Track Stacks have superseded them splendidly, with colours and names even...

The Folders can be coloured and named as their content is unique. But the Folder Track itself, which is literally doing nothing and has no parameters didn't occur to me to be uniqe per track, ever.
..................................... :?:

Anyway, after the horrible bug in Logic 7-ish (?) which caused all kind of corruption inside Region Folders if you simply changed their length, I stopped using them altogether, and Folder Track Stacks have superseded them splendidly, with colours and names even...
I started using Logic again only since v.8., I was not aware about that bug.

Indeed, I must agree with you about the superiority of the Folder Stack over the regular track Folder.

Can't confirm. From 1.7 on I witnessed one and only one Folder Track object. I wasn't aware that you could color and rename it, because why would you when it's literally just one singular object.

It would be nice to be able to have different icons and colors for different folder tracks. For example a Vocal folder track, a Drum folder track, etc.