Strange DMD Velocity Issue

Compressor61

LP 10.6.3

Mac Mini M1 16gb

Hello LP Wizards.

I'm at my wits end trying to figure out what is happening with a snare Midi note velocity. I have two regions with the same DMD midi pattern on them. One region the snare plays exactly 5db louder than the other. No automation anywhere on the track or in the midi region editor, the midi notes are exactly the same 110 velocity across both regions. And it's only the snare, no other parts of the drum kit. I can create new regions and write in new parts and this doesn't happen. I can move the snare to a different DMD pad and change the input note - still happens. I can totally change to another electronic drum kit in the Library, the snare in that kit still has the issue. Seems something in the MIDI information is causing this maybe? But again, I'm sure there's no automation and the velocity is set the same. Any ideas? Is this related to the M1 processor, even in a stock instrument like DMD? Now, to be clear, I did drag a new snare sample onto the DMD pad, but when I clear the DMD snare pad and change to another sample, this still happens.

Thanks!!

Don

Thanks David. I checked and yes, in fact there are duplicate notes in the Event List where this issue is occurring. This is new to me because I thought the piano roll would represent any and all midi notes that exist. I went and deleted the duplicate notes in the Event List and actually found many more on other DMD kit pieces for some reason. That fixed the problem with the snare but now I'm wondering how all these superimposed midi notes got there because i didn't write them in. However I've been having another issue which could be related. The repeat function Command-R for some reason is not working on individual midi notes or groups of notes in the piano roll. It works fine on regions, though. But if I select notes in the piano roll and hit Command-R, it doesn't repeat them like it used to, it just takes the playhead back to bar 1 and I see an empty Midi region in the Piano Roll. This has happened a lot and I'm wondering if when I do this, it's actually pasting/repeating the midi notes but not displaying them in the Piano Roll, and maybe thats where the superimposed notes are coming from. Make sense? Any thoughts?

Thanks for the suggestion!!

Don

What you describe makes sense.

I would try the usual troubleshooting rundown.

The duplication of notes is sometimes ifnot often due to MIDI loop issue. Meaning that a MIDI device will send back the same MIDI event it just received.

Sometimes when Logic respond differently to key command, it could be due to an inadvertant change in the key command assignments and some times in the switch to a different key commands set. Or due to a change in the OS system's keyboard selection.

Thanks David. I checked and yes, in fact there are duplicate notes in the Event List where this issue is occurring. This is new to me because I thought the piano roll would represent any and all midi notes that exist. I went and deleted the duplicate notes in the Event List and actually found many more on other DMD kit pieces for some reason. That fixed the problem with the snare but now I'm wondering how all these superimposed midi notes got there because i didn't write them in. However I've been having another issue which could be related. The repeat function Command-R for some reason is not working on individual midi notes or groups of notes in the piano roll. It works fine on regions, though. But if I select notes in the piano roll and hit Command-R, it doesn't repeat them like it used to, it just takes the playhead back to bar 1 and I see an empty Midi region in the Piano Roll. This has happened a lot and I'm wondering if when I do this, it's actually pasting/repeating the midi notes but not displaying them in the Piano Roll, and maybe thats where the superimposed notes are coming from. Make sense? Any thoughts?

Thanks for the suggestion!!

Don

Perhaps it's repeating them but not in the original region, in another region, and then you end up with superimposed notes in that other region? I would make sure that you don't have another region selected when you repeat. So close the Piano Roll, deselect all MIDI regions, double-click one region to open it in the Piano Roll, select a note or group of notes and press Command-R. Do you get the expected behavior now?

So I tried this in a completely new project and now the Command-R function does in fact work on groups of midi notes within a region, however after hitting command R, the view in the piano roll returns to the beginning of the project, not where I repeated the notes, which I think faked me out and made me think it didn't repeat the group of notes. But it did within the region I was working on. Why would the Piano Roll view change to another section of the project? Thanks