Displaying the normal range of a (software) orchestral instrument

Bebop26
Go to solution Solved by Bebop26,

• Solution

Hi ! Can someone help me with this... ?

Some time ago, my orchestral software instruments would play only the notes in the normal range of the real instrument. A violin software instrument would play notes in the normal range of a real violin. Same with classical guitar or upright bass, etc...

Now, it seems that I have to tell the instrument, in the inspector of the track, what is the range that I want to use.

I've checked the Project settings and the Logic Preferences, I don't see where I can get back to having automatically, for the software instruments, the normal range of the real instrument when I use a software instrument that emulates (imitates) a real instrument...

Thanks for reading this and for your possible help.

Edited by Bebop26

Are you referring to a 3rd party plugin or a native Logic one, in either case, which one?

If you are referring to the Logic Studio instruments (string, brass, etc), opening the extended parameters at the bottom of the GUI will reveal different parameters, unchecking the Extended Key Range option will limit the instrument play range to its natural range.

Edited by Atlas007

Thanks David.

Atlas007 : When I read your first paragraph, I immediately answered you what you've read, but I did not realized there was a second paragraph in your answer... (maybe I read your answer on my phone...).

I do not understand where I can open the extended parameters at the bottom of the GUI. Is the GUI the main window ? Where do I open those parameters ? This time, I'll read your answer till the end !

David, I think I'm tired... I"ll work on this again tomorrow.

Usually, I can get to windows like the one you included in your previous message, but now, if I open my Violons 1 software instrument, I get the sampler window...

I need some rest I think...

I'll be back.

Hum !

I just discovered the cause of my confusion !

This discussion made me realize that there are (at least) two different Studio Strings. The same is probably true with the Studio Horns.

928811496_Capturedcranle2021-07-2112_13_46.thumb.png.89cb2452f88dbc7cd2d27acb1cf721ae.png

Few months ago, I worked with the ones at the left, and I had the normal natural range of all the orchestral strings. But in the last days, I was working with the Studio Strings at right, where the normal range of the instrument is not taken into account and where we have to enter it by ourselves.

I understand now that only the Studio Strings at the left give me access to this window :

1365104739_Capturedcranle2021-07-2112_16_05.thumb.png.762e29bd64d858659c0dab8966b75d78.png

Since I was working with the Studio Strings at right, I could not access the window I was looking for.

Thanks David and Alias007, you helped me a lot once again.

One last question : besides Studio Strings and Studio Horns, do you know other orchestral instruments that offer that window, with articulation and all the other adjustments ? It does not exist for Classical guitar ?

PS. I was working hard on a project in the last days, but I will get back to the lessons in your book, David. So much to learn, and it's fun !

I don't think that Logic has a "Studio" guitar version among its plugins arsenal, although I think that some presets will have some velocity response...

I personally use Strum GS2 from AAS for its versatility, light footprint and its sounds qualities.

There is a myriad of guitar plugins on the market.

Here is a website presenting some of the best guitar plugins on the market.

Some featuring articulations implementation (although not necessarily included in the provided description).

• 3 weeks later...