Gain Stage, Or Normalize ???

Pianoworldstage

As explained here, normalizing consist of protecting the rendered audio from clipping while aiming at highest desired output level. That is quick and easy but renders a static dynamic level range based on the original recording.

Considering the different fluctuating frequency perception along the dynamic loudness scale, using normalization could unbalance a complex mix.

Gain staging consist of setting the levels to optimum at key spots along the audio signal route. That involve more work but allows fine adjustment along the playback.

So which one to choose from?

I'd say that it generally depends of the material at hand and about the (contextual) sought outcome.

If you are looking for a preset maximum output level for a single (or a few) instrument(s) project mix, containing little to no dynamic automations, normalization could do the trick.

Otherwise, I'd believe that you should ride the faders...

Anyhow, there is nothing like trying (normalization before resorting to faders) and let your ears be the judge.

Atlas, I usually go along 100% with what you say, but let me for once disagree and say that I find your post quite confusing. And yes, I had my morning coffee already, still it's very hard for me to make any sense of it. Other than that, you're probably a nice guy. :mrgreen:

Here's my take on the matter, FWIW.

Normalizing *during a Bounce/Export* means the level of the resulting file is changed so its highest peak hits an exact value (usually 0dBFs).

Advantage: quick and easy

Disadvantage: The resulting level is different, and *you don't know how much*

Gain Staging a signal is done to hit software plugins and especially hardware gear at its best working range for best sound.

Advantage: The resulting level is identical

Disadvantage: It takes more work

Neither method takes into account the proper volume of that element in the mix, as a cabasa might be pretty loud if gain staged, and terribly loud if normalized, but certainly quite low in the final mix.

Furthermore, the arrangement might require dynamic level changes of any given track throughout the song, which is another endless topic.

Not sure I succeeded in making it any clearer, but there you have it.

Get the mix levels exactly as you require, and export - then you have responsibility to know what you need, and to confirm you've got it there.

Don't rely on some extra process post-mix changing things out of your control beyond where you've set things to.

Normalising almost never makes sense for important work, imo, and certainly, if you're delivering content commercially, you won't ever be hard normalising to 0dBFS, or have a mix that's so high normalising needs to bring it down in level to fit under 0dBFS.

Before you apply your own normalization setting, it's imperative that you understand why you are normalizing and to which standard. Then

- select the Region(s) and choose Functions>Normalize Region Gain

- select the proper Mode, Algorithm and Target Level

- hit Apply

- now Bounce the Track without any further changes (no plugins on either Track or Stereo Out, all Faders including the Master Fader at 0)