Logic Pro X going Out of Tune

groove29

I oversee a lab with multiple Macs using Logic Pro X at a college. This has happened before on different Macs, but today, no matter what I did, the Software instrument tracks would go out of tune after a few seconds of recording. Then they would remain out of tune, even when not recording. Detuned by around 50 cents I think, either sharp or flat. Horribly distracting of course! Any ideas?

This is almost always a case of Pitch Bend messages being sent by a controller. If this happens during recording, it will keep happening on playback, as the pitch bend has now been recorded. So: first disconnect the controllers, then delete the Pitch Bend from the regions (using the List Editor), then play back and (probably) notice that the issue is gone.

If not, let us know. There are more (albeit more complicated) ways you can make this happen (although it almost has to be on purpose then).

I will try this later today. But pitch bend is in semitones right?

No, pitch bend data resolution depends on how the instrument/patch is programmed.

Pitch bend is a 14 bit message that spans values from -8192 to +8191. That scale can be applied to any semitone range the instrument (and the patch) are programmed to respond to (see: Re: Pitch bend question [sOLVED]). The range is often from -2 to +2 semitones, but it can be less or more.

I had similar issue occurring occasionally, especially after a relatively long period of Logic being let idle.

In my case there weren't any PB involved (nor other parameter seemingly).

The off tuning was kind of strange, like Logic had adopted a different (micro) scale tuning.

Experimenting with same was kind of evocative and producing interesting sonic/melodic effects.

Anyhow, to fix that, I had to reboot Logic.