time machine and an external drive

michaelft77

I've got a fairly new MacBook Pro over the last 6 mos. Still trying to iron out some kinks in the chain.

I also have two large wide screen monitors and getting them into extended mode has been a challenge along with

5 ss drives with orchestral libraries, a backup drive for Time Machine and a project drive also ss 2 terabytes for all of

my recording.

So question 1..... can I back up my daily session work automatically with Time Machine? I find the directions to backing up an external

drive on TM are very confusing.

and question 2....... On any given day when I start working, one or two drives simply don't mount which is incredibly stressful since my life's

work is on these drives. I have a 2 terabyte account on Dropbox which helps but ultimately you want your drives to mount when you boot up.

All of the drives are fairly new as well.

any suggestions I would be very grateful.

The Time Machine directions are simple, simply add as many drives as you want to use for backup and TM will round-robin through them.

Attached is the Preferences window for my MB Air. I use a NAS as well as an attached USB drive that sits on my desk. When the USB drive is not mounted because I am away from the desk, TM will use only the NAS. Once the USB drive is remounted, TM will start alternating drives again. As seen in the prefs window, a backup will be attempted evey hour unless none of the TM drives are mounted.

1946400086_ScreenShot2021-07-22at10_08_28AM.thumb.png.3ca5f14e1890c100845815bf2a930828.png

By default, TM will try to back up every folder on every currently mounted disk other than the one used for TM. There is an exclude list accssed by the Options button in the TM Prefs window. The user can indicate what not to backup (things like caches, for instance). That list can include entire drives if you prefer to only back up your data and not sound libraries, applications, etc.

/Users/michaelterry/Desktop/Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 8.36.29 AM.png

Well I'm not sure I would use the word simple to describe any of this but I admire your courage....

They are all extended journaled except the T5 and the T7 are exphat… whatever that means.

As far as Time Machine goes it seems to be backing up the MacBook Pro as well as Macintosh HD- data ( which I’ve never seen before)…. Also a folder called recovery with so many files I’ve also never seen before which leads me to think I’m doing something very wrong.