Plugging headphones in causes logic to re-initialize audio

AMD

Hello everyone. I used to have a 2012 MacBook Pro and if I was using system audio I could plug-in and un-plug headphones at any time and it would have no affect within logic correction within logic. I now have a 2018 MacBook Pro and if I plug-in or un-plug the headphones, logic reinitialises audio every time. It's extremely annoying and I am wondering if this is a bug or is it something I change within logic or system prefs?

Thanks.

I agree it is annoying. It was not like this before.

Maybe on later models Apple is using separate drivers for speakers and headphones so Logic re initialize when you change between the two.

Overall this re initialize thing should end already.

Hi!, Thanks for your reply. So it’s not just me. This is truly awful behaviour. What on earth were they thinking?

Windows has similar fun issues because the OS recognizes if anything is plugged into the headphone jack.

I do some computer support at a non-profit radio station. We had an issue with one machine that is used for archival recordings of our broadcasts. One day, it just stopped recording. I traced this down to the fact that someone had unplugged some device (powered speakers maybe) that had been plugged into the headphone jack. I just plugged an 1/8" cable into the jack...not connected to anything...and the machine was able to record again.

Seems that the recording application would not record because it required some sort of audio output port to be available for monitoring. Since the OS indicated that there was no active output port (desktops usually lack built in speakers), the software just shut itself off. :|

Get a simple audio interface (they make really good portable ones now too). Plugging headphones into that will work as it should.

Thanks. I have one, but don’t bring it with me all the time due to luggage limitations on certain trips. It’s just very annoying that it’s necessary to avoid this issue happening.

Hello everyone. I used to have a 2012 MacBook Pro and if I was using system audio I could plug-in and un-plug headphones at any time and it would have no affect within logic correction within logic. I now have a 2018 MacBook Pro and if I plug-in or un-plug the headphones, logic reinitialises audio every time. It's extremely annoying and I am wondering if this is a bug or is it something I change within logic or system prefs?

Thanks.

Create an Aggreate Device