Missing Auto saved and revert to

Dr4k

Hey all,

I usually find a way through the bugs, glitches or fun things that Logic can throw at you. But this seems like a pretty shitty bug.

I closed a session after bouncing a vocal muted version for a client.

When I came back to the session the next day, the project was a version from June 6th..... which was the original demo I was noodling with for them.

No auto saved files remain in the package contents ....

No revert to versions in the drop down menu....

It honestly appears for some reason I can not understand, the current dated versions (which I save religiously) has vanished right back to the first ever save of the project.

- all the raw .wav files are in the Audio Files folder

- all bounced demos or guides are in the bounce folder

What the hell?

Has anyone ever encountered this?

In nearly 30 years of using Logic I've never once had a situation where I loaded a project and it didn't come back the way I saved it.

Are you sure you didn't accidentally save the project elsewhere somewhere along the way, and you just reloaded the first earlier version of it, but the actual up-to-date project version is somewhere else?

Or maybe you were saving it to a Cloud location and it's incorrectly synced an earlier version of it? Do you have Time Machine running so you can inspect multiple saved versions of the file?

Very sorry to hear about your issue Dr4k, these situations are utterly frustrating. :(

Has anyone ever encountered this?

In nearly 30 years of using Logic I've never once had a situation where I loaded a project and it didn't come back the way I saved it.

Same here. I have seen my share of weird behaviors and ghost-like project file corruption, but I have never opened a file to find it in a state that was different from the state it was when I last saved it.

Did you happen to also open that June 6 version yesterday?

Do you sometimes open multiple Logic files simultaneously?

what version logic? what OS are you on?

as above, search for the song title, perhaps the save IS elsewhere. or get the last version from your backup? perhaps that's ok...

i've also never experienced anything like that. keep in mind what david mentions (never have more than one project open at a time)... good luck with this!

Thanks a lot for the response guys,

So heres the weird part, to answer your suggestions. The song version I opened was the recent open menu. So that version is always the current one. I very rarely open old versions, if ever.

The only thing I can think of was the system update I did 3 days ago. I always have everything up to date.

To top it off, I had my time machine accidentally pulled out when I was plugging in another device. So I had nothing backed up since..... guess when... 5th of June....

I don't think the coincidental chain of failures could be any more frustrating at this point.

There may be an SSD issue, but it's awfully coincidental to be at the same time as a system update.

Anyway, I didn't know if someone had by chance a workaround, but I kinda knew this was most likely a futile hope....

I have all the raw files.... but my god the editing, automation and overall mucking around Im in for....

Say a prayer for me fellas and thanks again

• 3 months later...

Ok so, I ended up having to build this out from scratch again.....

Tracked the main vocals with the performers.

Opened up the edit after it was shelved for a couple of months while they finished other tracks for online content.

Played the current version to the client with the edited vocals. All good.

Came back in this morning..... the project edit has vanished. The project has reverted back to raw unedited takes again.

This is bonkers.....

I haven't had a Project revert to an earlier state by itself in 31 years, and since this experience is pretty much exactly what everyone else is reporting, it's highly likely that you're doing something wrong.

A couple of thoughts.

- I only ever use the Recent menu for Projects that I worked on today or yesterday, certainly not from 3 months ago.

- I always save projects as Folder, never as Package, which means if I have several Project versions in that folder, I can clearly see their Last Edited date in the Finder

- in a properly saved Project file, there is no Autosave folder, if it is there it means that the Project wasn't saved properly due to Logic crashing

- if there are no Project Backups despite you specifying more than 0, it means either the Logic Preferences file is corrupted and should be deleted or you have one specific old Logic version which showed exactly this behaviour as a bug. You've been asked about the Logic version earlier but didn't tell.

1. I opened the file from open menu. Not from recent. I have 6 projects a week.

2. I also never save as a package

3.On the original post before I reconstructed the entire song, the autosave and backup folder in package contents was missing.

4. Current Logic version, latest waves plugin updates, all firmware and hardware up to date.

I will look in to the Logic Preferences file being corrupted. That sound more like what problem I am having.

I also remembered this started after I updated OSX. Im wondering if its done something to the preferences in the update.

Ive retrieved almost everything from a previous Time Machine save.

Its still an odd bug. Something to keep an eye out for in future.

Thanks for the help.