Duplicate audio track with regions *and* audio file(s)?

ulit
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Hi all,

hopefully I don't overlook something obivious:

my use case starts with a audio track with (non-contiguous) regions of an audio file.

I want to perform some destructive audio editing on these regions data. In order to keep the original audio file untouched, duplicating the track, including the regions which should point to a copy of the original audio file would be great.

I ended with using "New Track with Duplicate Settings and Content", then joining all regions (which creates a new audio file due to the non-contiguous regions), but I needed to recreate the regions' start and stop position using the original regions as templates.

Is there an easier way?

Thanks!

Uli

Yeah you'll have to do as Dave suggests because any region duplication process will result in new regions pointing to the original audio.

It helps to name your regions as I'm pretty sure those names get adopted for the new audio file names. I will often use Shift+Cmd N to name the regions after the track, select them all, press Shift N to rename them, and add the number "1" at the end. Logic will then sequentially name the regions automatically.

This will then give the regions all a unique name, which is great for audio file naming.

David, Simon,

thank you for the hints, works like a charm!

The regions' context menu in the project browser (and the local menu in the project browser) does not contain those 'Convert' option, it seems that I was only searching there. Makes much more sense that this is offered in the main window.

• 1 month later...
David, Simon,

thank you for the hints, works like a charm!

The regions' context menu in the project browser (and the local menu in the project browser) does not contain those 'Convert' option, it seems that I was only searching there. Makes much more sense that this is offered in the main window.

There are some hangovers for Logic's "legacy" days, that could be better thought out and reimplemented with modern usability sensibilities in mind. But I wouldn't hold your breath waiting.