Sf2 fonts failure in Logic Pro X

John Morton

I imported Sf2 sound fonts into Logic Pro 10.5.1 and have been useing them for some years. Yesterday, they had disappeared from the menu, both the Settings menu and the Sampler header. Apple recommends one route and forum advisors another fo installing the fonts. The possible routes are:

Users>Music>Audio MusicApps>Sampler instruments

Users>Music>Audio MusicApps>Sounf font samples

Library> Application support>Logic>Sampler instruments

I have checked all three.

The last 'unusual' thing I did was to install Google Drive.

I spent half a day researching this online without success. Heeeeelp.........

I just checked here, and Sampler in 10.5.x still converts SF2 to EXS files just the same way as the old EXS24 did - any SF2 files in your sampler instruments folder will show up in the menu, and the first time you select it, the SF2 is converted to an EXS file - you then have to reselect it from the menu which now loads the EXS conversion.

If you've been using this for years, then you'll have already converted your SF2 files into EXS files, and they will be in the same place they always have been, and available from your Sampler Instrument menu and library browser.

So - are you saying that you had a bunch of old SF2/EXS files that you now can't find, but should be on your system?

Were they on an external drive that now isn't mounted (hence they are not available?)

I imported Sf2 sound fonts into Logic Pro 10.5.1 and have been useing them for some years. Yesterday, they had disappeared from the menu, both the Settings menu and the Sampler header. Apple recommends one route and forum advisors another fo installing the fonts. The possible routes are:

So, being technical here, SF2 and Sampled Instruments are two different things.

Once you import the SF2 files, it's just a Sampled Instrument.

Importing SoundFont 2

So here's an issue I've run into and I think it's what OS X is doing regarding the open file dialog boxes.

I have a alias on my M1 to my Intel Mac for quick access when I want to transfer stuff back and forth.

When I create Sampled Instruments, I just put stuff on my desktop and after creating the instrument, I'll move the samples to the external drive, use my re-linker app to point to the external drive and only add entries in Users>Music>Audio MusicApps>Sampler instruments and everything works great.

The issue I ran into was, if my Intel Mac was off, that alias obviously doesn't work so I know not to use it but when I bring up Sampler to add files, Sampler (not just Sampler but all OS X applications) defaults to the last known folder I was working in, which is my desktop.

With that alias not being available, the Open Dialog in Sampler hangs to the point where I have to kill Logic.

I don't know why, but I just decided to delete that alias and sure enough, everything was working great.

I put the alias back in, again, Sampler hung.

So I mentioned this because you mentioned about adding the Google Drive.

Now if I was going to debug this, I would use MainStage to sampler an instrument and see where Main Stage puts the Sampled Instrument and see if you can still see it in Sampler.

If not, then the Google Drive is the issue.

As a side note, from a technical point of view, there's no need to import a SF2 file, you can use the SF2 as is in Logic.

I just checked here, and Sampler in 10.5.x still converts SF2 to EXS files just the same way as the old EXS24 did - any SF2 files in your sampler instruments folder will show up in the menu, and the first time you select it, the SF2 is converted to an EXS file - you then have to reselect it from the menu which now loads the EXS conversion.

If you've been using this for years, then you'll have already converted your SF2 files into EXS files, and they will be in the same place they always have been, and available from your Sampler Instrument menu and library browser.

So - are you saying that you had a bunch of old SF2/EXS files that you now can't find, but should be on your system?

Were they on an external drive that now isn't mounted (hence they are not available?)

I don't store converted files. The way I work is this: I use MuseScore as a notation program and export the file as a MIDI and open in Logic. I then delete all the imported volume, pan etc. info in the Text Editor to stop the faders etc. having a mind of their own and re-assign instruments where Logic gets them wrong.

The problem is that Logic's recently added Studio Horns won't sustain for more than around four seconds (?) (!) so, when I want long, sustained notes, I click in the Settings menu and select the Sf2's. The problem is they aren't there and I can't think what I might have done to cause this. Where are they now?

You did well to find info on Sampler. After searching all morning I could only find advice on EXS24, which worked fine.

There is no substitute for shelling out on high-end instruments but, at 81 years of age, I can barely afford to breathe and my options for altering this situation are few.

So, being technical here, SF2 and Sampled Instruments are two different things.

Once you import the SF2 files, it's just a Sampled Instrument.

Importing SoundFont 2

So here's an issue I've run into and I think it's what OS X is doing regarding the open file dialog boxes.

I have a alias on my M1 to my Intel Mac for quick access when I want to transfer stuff back and forth.

When I create Sampled Instruments, I just put stuff on my desktop and after creating the instrument, I'll move the samples to the external drive, use my re-linker app to point to the external drive and only add entries in Users>Music>Audio MusicApps>Sampler instruments and everything works great.

The issue I ran into was, if my Intel Mac was off, that alias obviously doesn't work so I know not to use it but when I bring up Sampler to add files, Sampler (not just Sampler but all OS X applications) defaults to the last known folder I was working in, which is my desktop.

With that alias not being available, the Open Dialog in Sampler hangs to the point where I have to kill Logic.

I don't know why, but I just decided to delete that alias and sure enough, everything was working great.

I put the alias back in, again, Sampler hung.

So I mentioned this because you mentioned about adding the Google Drive.

Now if I was going to debug this, I would use MainStage to sampler an instrument and see where Main Stage puts the Sampled Instrument and see if you can still see it in Sampler.

If not, then the Google Drive is the issue.

As a side note, from a technical point of view, there's no need to import a SF2 file, you can use the SF2 as is in Logic.

I have never used an alias in this context and I don't store instruments on an external drive (yet). I uninstalled Google Drive and re-started but no joy. Your other information is very interesting (thanks!) – I have never used Scripter (I can't find this option) – but I have never had to go that route in the past. The Sf2's have just disappeared from the Settings menu choices.

I don't store converted files.

If you were using SF2 files in ESX24, then yes you are, it's how it works. My above response shows you how Logic uses SF2 files in the EXS24.

I click in the Settings menu and select the Sf2's.

Presumably you mean the settings menu of the EXS24 (ie, the list of Sampler Instruments available on your system)

The problem is they aren't there and I can't think what I might have done to cause this. Where are they now?

Which comes back to the question I asked already - presumably at some point you bought or downloaded from the internet ("imported") a bunch of SF2 files. For them to show up in the Sampler Instruments list in Logic, they would need to be put in one of a few defined locations, as you've mentioned in your initial post.

You say you have looked in these locations, but failed to find the files you are looking for, which means either they are not there, have been removed, or you're failing to see them. Note, you are not necessarily looking for SF2 files - again, as I mentioned already, the first time you select an SF2 file from the Sampler Instruments menu, Logic converts them to an EXS file of the same name, and then it's that EXS sampler instrument, the native EXS24/Sampler format, that's listed in the menus and is loaded. The EXS24 doesn't play SF2 files directly, it *always* converts them first.

So, if you know the names or partial names of some of these files, you may want to use Spotlight to try to find whether they exist on your system - don't forget to add the "Include system files" search option otherwise your Mac won't look in system folders by default, and will therefore miss them if they are in there.

Failing that, you could search the internet for them again, redownload them, and copy them manually to the Music Audio Apps Sampler Instruments folder.

I don't store converted files.

If you were using SF2 files in ESX24, then yes you are, it's how it works. My above response shows you how Logic uses SF2 files in the EXS24.

I click in the Settings menu and select the Sf2's.

Presumably you mean the settings menu of the EXS24 (ie, the list of Sampler Instruments available on your system)

The problem is they aren't there and I can't think what I might have done to cause this. Where are they now?

Which comes back to the question I asked already - presumably at some point you bought or downloaded from the internet ("imported") a bunch of SF2 files. For them to show up in the Sampler Instruments list in Logic, they would need to be put in one of a few defined locations, as you've mentioned in your initial post.

You say you have looked in these locations, but failed to find the files you are looking for, which means either they are not there, have been removed, or you're failing to see them. Note, you are not necessarily looking for SF2 files - again, as I mentioned already, the first time you select an SF2 file from the Sampler Instruments menu, Logic converts them to an EXS file of the same name, and then it's that EXS sampler instrument, the native EXS24/Sampler format, that's listed in the menus and is loaded. The EXS24 doesn't play SF2 files directly, it *always* converts them first.

So, if you know the names or partial names of some of these files, you may want to use Spotlight to try to find whether they exist on your system - don't forget to add the "Include system files" search option otherwise your Mac won't look in system folders by default, and will therefore miss them if they are in there.

Failing that, you could search the internet for them again, redownload them, and copy them manually to the Music Audio Apps Sampler Instruments folder.

What I meant is I don't store converted files ready to use. I convert them through Sampler as I use them In Logic. The Sf2 files I am trying to use, and have done so for a few years, are available via the MuseScore notation program.

Whether I click in the Settings menu in the sidebar or in the Sampler header the files have disappeared.

The Sf2 files are definitely there.

1756341973_Screenshot2021-07-26at11_28_32.thumb.png.0ef9b9bf20a0644edcf2bc20edc01b50.png

What I meant is I don't store converted files ready to use. I convert them through Sampler as I use them In Logic.

Sure. They'll stay as SF2 files, unless you "use" them. As you said you've been using them for years, I made the assumption the ones you used have already been converted. Anyway, no matter, I don't know the specifics of your use, I'm trying trying to illustrate how this works in order to help you with your missing file problem.

The Sf2 files I am trying to use, and have done so for a few years, are available via the MuseScore notation program.

As they files that getting installed/bundled with it? When you install them, where are they installed to?

Whether I click in the Settings menu in the sidebar or in the Sampler header the files have disappeared.

Yes, I understand that your problem is you don't have those files coming up in your Sampler Instruments menu.

Where? I can't tell from your screenshot where these files are, nor see what's in that folder. Where on the file system are the SF2 files?

I am grateful for the other advice but it doesn't explain this sudden problem i.e. I have never had to do these things previously to use the fonts. There is an underlying cause of all this that I am looking for.

I can't give you the exact underlying cause until we establish certain things. There are many things it could be, but I can't tell you which of them is the case without establishing certain information - hence this is a troubleshooting dialog to point to the correct causes and therefore a solution...

What I meant is I don't store converted files ready to use. I convert them through Sampler as I use them In Logic.

Sure. They'll stay as SF2 files, unless you "use" them. As you said you've been using them for years, I made the assumption the ones you used have already been converted. Anyway, no matter, I don't know the specifics of your use, I'm trying trying to illustrate how this works in order to help you with your missing file problem.

The Sf2 files I am trying to use, and have done so for a few years, are available via the MuseScore notation program.

As they files that getting installed/bundled with it? When you install them, where are they installed to?

Yes, I understand that your problem is you don't have those files coming up in your Sampler Instruments menu.

Where? I can't tell from your screenshot where these files are, nor see what's in that folder. Where on the file system are the SF2 files?

I am grateful for the other advice but it doesn't explain this sudden problem i.e. I have never had to do these things previously to use the fonts. There is an underlying cause of all this that I am looking for.

I can't give you the exact underlying cause until we establish certain things. There are many things it could be, but I can't tell you which of them is the case without establishing certain information - hence this is a troubleshooting dialog to point to the correct causes and therefore a solution...

You will see the words 'Sampler Instruments' at the top of the window in the screenshot. I duplicated the SF2 file existing in the MuseScore program, which works OK in MuseScore and then placed them in to the Sampler Instruments folder. I deleted the word 'copy' in the file name as you will see..

Yes, I saw the words "Sampler Instruments" in your screenshot. That tells me nothing about "where" this folder is - which was why I was asking for actually where these files are. Which Sampler Instruments folder? The one in the Music Audio Apps path..? Or somewhere else?

Try copying one of the SF2 files in that MuseScore folder into the top level of the Sampler instruments folder, then restarting Logic and seeing whether that shows up in the Sampler Instruments list.

I'd like to see the contents of that folder though, because the name of the folder is suspicious to me and possibly indicates that this might just be samples, and not instruments at all, which is why they wouldn't show up. Can you show me a screenshot of the files inside that MuseScore folder?

Edit: I'm downloading this GeneralUser soundfont from the MuseScore website to have a look at, now that I've found the one you are referring to.

Ok I downloaded: http://schristiancollins.com/soundfonts/GeneralUser_GS_1.442-MuseScore.zip

(From https://musescore.org/en/handbook/3/soundfonts-and-sfz-files )

Unzipped it, and copied the file "GeneralUser GS MuseScore v1.442.sf2" to "/Users/*me*/Music/Audio Music Apps/Sampler Instruments/", reran Logic (10.5.1), loaded Sampler, selected the "GeneralUser GS MuseScore v1.442.sf2" from the Sampler Instruments menu, and Sampler immediately began converting the file (it's a soundfont "bank" file, which consists of multiple soundfonts.).

Sampler created a "GeneralUser GS MuseScore v1.442.sf2.bk" folder in the Sampler Instruments folder, with all the individual instruments from the bank ("Bell Tower", "Birds" etc) converted to EXS and selectable. They all work fine.

I suggest you trash what you have already, and follow those exact steps above, and it should work fine for you, and you'll be back working.

Additional note: As suspected from your screenshot, the folder "GeneralUser GS MuseScore v1.442.sf2.Samples" is created in the "/Users/*me*/Music/Audio Music Apps/SoundFont Samples" folder when the soundfont bank is converted, and this folder is what you had copied into the Sampler Instruments folder, expecting it to show up.

This won't show up in the Sampler Instruments menu, because it just contains the samples, not the instruments. In short, you copied the wrong folder to the sampler instruments folder.

If you trash this and follow my steps above, it should all be working for you again.

Additional note: As suspected from your screenshot, the folder "GeneralUser GS MuseScore v1.442.sf2.Samples" is created in the "/Users/*me*/Music/Audio Music Apps/SoundFont Samples" folder when the soundfont bank is converted, and this folder is what you had copied into the Sampler Instruments folder, expecting it to show up.

This won't show up in the Sampler Instruments menu, because it just contains the samples, not the instruments. In short, you copied the wrong folder to the sampler instruments folder.

If you trash this and follow my steps above, it should all be working for you again.

No, they were in the correct place. In fact I had tried all three options.

Anyway, I've freshly downloaded the font from MuseScore and it all works now, thank you. What puzzles me is what happened to these fonts that had been working fine and then suddenly they're not there? No need to reply to that.

I had to change my default browser back to Chrome to save time because Firefox had an unfamiliar method of working.

Thanks again, John Morton