Sudden edit anomalies

ums
Go to solution Solved by ums,

Hello,

I am befuddled with what is happening with my project, seemingly suddenly. I'm hoping I just clicked something unintentionally and someone here knows what I did and how to un-do it.

Here is a few second video showing some of the issue:

I have 60min VO track that has been cut and edited into 267 smaller pieces and I have been building the project like normal. Now though, when I go to make any edits (scissor, extend/shrink the region) the waveform redraws and no longer shows or plays what used to be there.

I've restarted the project - and the computer - with no luck, and I've opened this VO file in a new project and I don't seem to have this problem there. I'm hoping this isn't a corrupt project because I've already spent a full day assembling it!

Anyway, if you have any ideas or need more info I would appreciate it, thanks!

I regularly work with projects with ten times as many Regions without problems, so this is unusual.

Given that a Track can only ever play one Region at a time, it sounds like a plugin buffer issue, but without you telling which plugins are used, all we can do is guess.

Also, it seems we hear audio up to the point where your mouse pointer was, not where the shifted Region border ended up.

You can import this and all the other tracks into a fresh project, which would preserve all the work you put into it and might get rid of what appears to be a corrupted project.

Similarly, I do this day in and day out and by the end of this project I will have around 60 tracks and over 200 plug-ins deployed. This issue is unique for me. I have now removed (not just turned off) all but 3 plug-ins (all Logic native). Here is another video clip where I merely click the corner of the region and already it is redrawing and repositioning the contents of my region. Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGdkmDGEmSc

Oh, interesting. I'll try that, but it turns out I don't know how to import regions properly. Is there a step-by-step you could point me towards?

I would write a step by step for you (I'm a huge fan of step by step instructions :lol:) however I wouldn't know how to do a better job than just follow the operations you're seeing Christian perform on the animated image he shared. So I would say start there, and if anything is unclear, let us know what exactly? Once you understand the operations, It should take less than 60 seconds all in all to rebuild your entire Logic project file. Do NOT hesitate to ask any questions as you're going through the moves.

Here's a hint though: once you're seeing a list of tracks in the All Files Browser, select them all (Command-A) then press the Right arrow key on your keyboard in order to select all checkboxes for all selected tracks. then click the Add button.

Ha, sorry - I didn't catch that link in your post. (Also, the "ADD" button at the bottom of the import browser was just off-screen or else I actually could have figured out how to finish this process myself. Must be blinded by rage at this point.)

But all that said, the new project now has the same issues. . The problem seems region-oriented. The way the regions react to even simple commands seems telling. I've made another video in the new project:

Since I'm out of ideas (which does not happen often), I'll resort to throwing mud on the wall to see what sticks. Here's what I would try or check, if just to stir up enough dust to maybe make a pattern visible:

- Remove all plugins

- Flex is off ?

- Temporarily switch Preferences>Audio>General>Plugin Latency-Compensation to Off

- No hidden Tracks ?

- Change Drag Mode to (No) Overlap

- No tempo changes in the Tempo Track ?

- Check if the same happens with other audio files from other sources. If not, thoroughly investigate this source

Since I'm out of ideas (which does not happen often), I'll resort to throwing mud on the wall to see what sticks. Here's what I would try or check, if just to stir up enough dust to maybe make a pattern visible:

- Remove all plugins

- Flex is off ?

- Temporarily switch Preferences>Audio>General>Plugin Latency-Compensation to Off

- No hidden Tracks ?

- Change Drag Mode to (No) Overlap

- No tempo changes in the Tempo Track ?

- Check if the same happens with other audio files from other sources. If not, thoroughly investigate this source

Applied all of these changes and it is still happening. And I get the same behavior on all the other regions on all the other tracks, so it doesn't appear to be the source file.

Thanks for all the suggestions along the way, and if you something strikes you later please let me know otherwise I need to get to rebuilding this.

• Solution

At the risk of speaking too soon - I THINK I SOLVED IT.

The sample rate got switched from 48k -> 44.1k. A few issues popped up at this same time, so I'm thinking I had one of those instances where something (a glitch, a dubious import, new plug-in scan, a bluetooth keyboard surge...) swept through Logic and made a handful of seemingly random changes, or restored to factory settings or something. Regardless, I switched my SR back to 48 and (so far, knock on wood) all is well.

Hours after the revelation things are still holding up properly, PRAISE BE. It is a few steps to manually change the sample rate of an already-established project so I think either an imported 44.1k source file or a glitch caused the flip from 48 to 441. Hopefully somebody who encounters this issue will find comfort in this thread.

Thanks again for your help time the way, @fuzzfilth