Sudden Crashing

Dnonkong

Greetings all! Crash report reads, "Logic Pro quit unexpectedly while using the StripControlPI_VST_AU Protect plug-in."

145429413_ScreenShot2021-07-08at11_03_22AM.png.010aa5b9f22f097ce44197f4092177bb.png

The behavior occurs when clicking on or engaging tracks/buses that were previously created in a separate writing template I created for a scoring project. This project is then duplicated and used as a starting point for the various music cues. It doesn't seem to happen with new tracks I make within the duplicated template file, unless I close the session and re-open it. Basically, selecting any track that exists within a given session is fair game for a crash, though the crashing behavior is not always consistent. These tracks are almost always embedded in track stacks, and clicking the top level of the track stack can cause the issue. Doesn't matter if it's an instrument track or an audio track.

One guess is that it could be related to the plugins instantiated on the template file? Perhaps a setting got corrupted?

I am also using LPX Colorizer, and recently upgraded to the latest version which allows for custom coloring of the channel strips within the mixer. This never happened before the latest update. I have since deselected the custom coloring option, but the crashing behavior remains.

Another possible 3rd party culprit is Speakerfood's Plug Search tool. I am using the latest version of this as well.

Any ideas? It's quite frustrating, especially when you start to get in a flow state. Many thanks for your input!

Have you considered performing a new plugin scan in Logic plugin's manager window?

To do this:

1. Click on the Logic Pro X menu and choose Preferences > General.
  2. On the Advanced tab, check Show Advanced Tools.
  3. Audio Units Manager will now appear under Logic Pro X > Preferences.

Yes, it's a VST/AU plugin by the looks of the name, and it's that that seems to be crashing.

Check both plugin folders and/or the Plugin Manager in Logic and see if you can find out what it is - hopefully removing it should stop it crashing, and it can't be that vital for your work if you have no idea what it is and no memory of installing it..! ;)

Hmm, possibly. I don't use it, but I recall there is some server or plugin component that handles some new feature for colouring the channel strips, so that might indeed be the culprit. Worth exploring to see whether it goes away once it's removed, for sure...

LPX Colorizer is indeed the culprit. I reverted to the standard Logic theme (ie. uninstalled LPX Colorizer's changes) and the problem went away. The latest versions do away with the plug-in, but apparently at the cost of potential crashing. Thanks for your input @Des99.

LPX Colorizer is indeed the culprit. I reverted to the standard Logic theme (ie. uninstalled LPX Colorizer's changes) and the problem went away. The latest versions do away with the plug-in, but apparently at the cost of potential crashing. Thanks for your input @Des99.

Perhaps reporting same to the Colorizer team will be prove being useful as many user bank on it...

• 3 months later...

Hi there,

Im just discovering this thread now. It was forwarded to use by a customer via email.

@Dnonkong would you be fearless enough to install LPXColorizer (with the bundle midi plugin included), make Logic crash again and send us a crash report?

That is the easiest first step for us to understand why on your setup it is crashing like this.

It could happen to others and we of course want to distribute the most stable solution to this community!

I'd be grateful if you could reach out to us at: info@creationauts.com

Thank you :)

Perhaps reporting same to the Colorizer team will be prove being useful as many user bank on it...

From one Quebecer to another @Atlas0007, yes you are darn right about that! thanks for advocating this :)