MIDI Controller setup with Kontakt

melodea

Depending on the instrument, it will either be set up to respond to stand MIDI CC for those things, or you can do it via automation parameters (and therefore using controller assignments for map controls on your keyboard to those Kontakt automation parameters).

I'd start by checking the documentation, or at least trying the standard MIDI CC's for expression etc to see whether it works, which will be the simplest way of controlling them.

Hi, thanks for your response. The iCon Icontrols sends out MIDI CC values. They prompt you to set it up as a Mackie Control surface. That worked (Volume faders, play stop etc.), but I'd like to use it only for controlling Kontakt Library parameters. I tried with Control + Click on Kontakt parameters to learn the Midi nr. but it didn't work so far. Any step by step advice to set it up? Thanks!

Generally speaking, you can't easily do both things - be a control surface, and also be a generic MIDI controller, unless the controller has specific features for doing that.

If you want to use it as a generic controller, you can remove it from the control surface window, which now means it's MIDI messages will reach the sequencer and Kontakt (otherwise they won't), and learn them (in Kontakt) that way.

There are other more complicated means of setting this up, but try this way first.