Why can't I edit audio files sometimes?!

Clyde P.

There's a thing in Logic... for over 10 years I still don't understand this... if I double-click on an audio file, it opens in the edit audio window, and then you can view Track(for Flex) & "File". But in the "File" view, if I want to remove 3-4 db in the Fonctions settings, sometimes it's grayed out and I can't do it. I thought it was the Flex, then I remove all Flex on that track but I'm still unable to edit that audio file in the Audio window... it's grayed out. So I don't know anymore and I cry.

Thanks!

Clyde

Edited by Clyde P.

Thanks, yeah I know that I can bounce but I want to understand why certain audio Files in my projects can't be edited and some can.

It could be that you're trying to edit a file that is in a distribution file format, such as mp3, AAC or m4a. To edit a file, it needs to be a production file format: a PCM file with a wav, aiff or caf extension.

Thanks David... yeah no it's .aif 24 bits.

Just to be clear... I'm on a track in the main window, in this track I edit the wave, cut it, fade in/out, remove what's between the words etc... and then if I double-click on the one of those "pieces" and the Audio editor opens, sometimes I can use the Fonctions settings to change the Gain and other times I can't. See images...

1001628693_ScreenShot2021-07-29at11_52_53.thumb.png.1508098498ace73ddefbbf72efb7f203.png

Can't

138745717_ScreenShot2021-07-29at12_01_59.thumb.png.c0be66896571ff041a368702ff30ba76.png

Can

Oh... I just noticed that it's for the .wav files that it doesn't work :? Well I guess I have my answer! I always thought that there wasn't really a difference between those two... that I could do anything with .wav files...

The issue isn't with wav files. You can edit any PCM file whether they're contained in a wav, aif or caf file:

edit-wav-file.thumb.png.970d2724defb5eea360e19167045b77c.png

However any of these three file types can contain formats other than PCM (such as compressed files, apple loops, acid loops etc...) that you cannot edit in the Audio File editor in Logic.

So: when you're having this issue, is it with a wav file that you've recorded yourself in your Logic project (in which case you should be able to edit it just like any other PCM file whether wav, caf or aiff) or with a wav file that you obtained from another source (in which case it's likely to not be a PCM file, which would explain the issue)?

Yeah it's .wav and .aif also... you're right, thanks.

I recorded those wave files in another studio on ProTools, exported in wave 24b 41100, and I don't think it's the issue cause some of those same waves are fine... and it's PCM for sure. I just passed an hour clicking on multiple waves, some works, some don't, and I can't seem to find any difference at all... mystery. I put Flex Pitch on some of those tracks before but "desactivated" it... so the Flex is not "ON" on any tracks. Is it maybe because I already "Flexed" them before and now I can "go back" to edit those one?

Thanks!