Anyone have a 24” Mac?

Zipfunk

It looks like I have to get a new Mac.

On another forum here I was told I should get the M1 chip.

I run fairly heavy orchestral projects with quite a few tracks (20+)

I’m wondering if the new 24” Mac with 16 gig RAM would be powerful enough.

My info signature has the description of what I have now.

Any info is always greatly appreciated

Drew

A 16GB M1 should be more than enough to handle your projects (you don't mention which orchestral tools you are using). The important things to be aware of are the M1 compatibility of your instruments and plug-ins.

In Rosetta mode (the only reliable method if you are using third-party instruments) things should be fine.

Check with the providers of your orchestra.

If you are strictly using Logic instruments then you can easily run in native mode - very fast.

I thought long and hard about one of the new iMacs. With 16gb RAM and a TB of internal storage, it tops out at over €2,300, and then there's €200+ for Applecare. So, €2,500. I have a Mini that has the same set of specs as the iMac with a decent monitor for about €700 cheaper. I already have a Magic Mouse and Keyboard 2, though. Plus, I'm not limited to 24". Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Thanks to everyone that posted on this thread.

I’m in the middle of a project so I was squeezed for time and options. I did order the 24” with 16gigs. It comes in a few weeks.

I have an old 27” for a second monitor but I may look at a Mac mini in the future. Glenn Lancaster brought up a good point that we own all the keyboards and mice we need by now.