Transferring from DAT

Gorwel
Go to solution Solved by fuzzfilth,

I'm trying to archive some old DATs.

I'm doing this via AES and set my RME interface to check for this which it does and chooses sample rate correctly.

I assumed that Logic would pick this up but it doesn't. It seems that I have to set the correct SR manually in Logic depending on the particular tape that I'm transferring. Is that expected, or am I missing a setting somewhere where it will just follow the interface? I would have thought that as the interface is clocking from the DAT, Logic would know this.

Also, as the DATS are 16bit, should I just uncheck 24 bit recording or will this confuse things as the interface is 24-bit? Is it best jst to leave it checked and let the interface fill it with zeroes or whatever it does.

Many thanks!

I guess the bit I don't get is that, as the UFX has taken the data from the DAT at the correct sample rate, what's determining the clocking in Logic, if indeed that's relevant. Maybe it's not. Sorry if I'm being a bit dense here but in an AtoD situation, I don't need to set the sample rate separately as the interface follows the DAW.

• Solution

In the real world, no two clocks run really exactly 100% precisely at the same speed and stability, even if they are both labeled identically. Therefore, when connecting two or more discrete systems where each has its own clock, you need to sync these, like the chain on your bike syncs the cogs on the front and rear cogwheel. The chain jumping over the cogs results in nasty clicks and even full scale white noise if the chain falls off completely. Here's how to do it properly:

-Insert the tape into the DAT machine, which reads and displays whether the tape is 44.1 or 48kHz.

-In the UFX Settings panel, set Clock Mode to AutoSync (to make the UFX lock its clock to that of the incoming digital stream) and Preferred Sync Ref to AES (so the UFX does not accidentally lock to an also connected 48 ADAT source while you try to record from a 44.1 DAT)

-In Logic, set Project Settings>Audio>Sample Rate to what is displayed on the DAT machine (this also sets the basic sample rate of the UFX which then will be fine tweaked by AutoSync)

Now you can transfer your tape properly.

You told Logic which sample rate is roughly to be expected (and the precise sample rate it should continue to work with once the DAT is disconnected), UFX now knows the ballpark to start with and can adjust its sync recognition window accordingly and the DAT machine plays the tape as stable as it can.

I guess the bit I don't get is that, as the UFX has taken the data from the DAT at the correct sample rate, what's determining the clocking in Logic, if indeed that's relevant. Maybe it's not. Sorry if I'm being a bit dense here but in an AtoD situation, I don't need to set the sample rate separately as the interface follows the DAW.

There's no clocking per se in Logic, other that making Logic aware of the sample rater you're using. Logic just records and plays back words (samples) that are made of bits, the clocking is done at the hardware level when those words are converted from or back into an analog signal.

When you connect a mic into your UFX, the UFX has its own clock that determines at what times it samples the analog signal to produce a word that is transferred to Logic. Logic just stores the word into an audio file (the act known to us as "recording").

When you connect a digital source to your UFX (such as the digital output of your DAT), the UFX should no longer use its own clock, but slave to the clock of the DAT. Logic just stores the word into an audio file the same way as with your analog mic, it doesn't make a difference to Logic where the words are coming from, what clock is used, or which device is master or slave.