Score Editor does not truly reflect MIDI track

amusong

Hi,

I want to use the Score editor to print out a complete orchestral arrangement blocked out on the keyboard using Kontakt Strings Ensemble patch, so that I can analyse it and break it down into parts for a full performance with individual instruments. It is an Adagio piece with some very long sustained notes over many bars. Other notes come and go to produce a slowly changing chordal arrangement.

The identification of these sustained notes is important because I have to assign various instruments to those parts and they are therefore not available to play other parts. I can identify them from the piano roll but it is very tedious and error prone to do it that way. I am quite happy to print the score out and transcribe the parts by hand. But I find that the score editor, although it can show sustained tied notes that go over several bars, ends the ties when another note is played, even though the the first note continues on sounding. You can see what I mean in the attached screen shot, which shows both Score and Piano roll. The cursor is in the same place for each. The score is not actually showing what is sounding.

In the bar just prior to the cursor there are actually 4 notes sounding simultaneously but only one is shown in the score. This occurs throughout the piece, which is full of overlapping notes, making it very difficult to use the score for transcribing. I am quite happy to write the parts out by hand, but cannot do it using the Score Editor if it does not show the true tied notes. Does anyone know how to force the score editor to show the long sustained notes correctly so that I can see the chords that are actually sounding at any one time?

489032331_ScreenShot2021-07-29at8_19_20pm.thumb.png.7efe7da352f14935ee0d35138dd700a6.png

"No overlap" did the trick for me! Thanks wolfgerb.

See below....there's other stuff going on, but this is the harmonic backbone and now I can see better how to choose which instrument should play which part.

Duration bars also looked good, and in some ways they would be easier to work with. But, although I could get them to appear on screen, they would not print out on a hardcopy page (which is what I am looking for).

That polyphonic stuff looks interesting too. Will follow it up sometime soon. Thanks for those tutorials Atlas007, they were very interesting.

2075284624_ScreenShot2021-07-30at9_16_29am.thumb.png.e78fb69c191247e104500e7db74b8916.png