New iOS GarageBand release with Dua Lipa, Lady Gaga, Mark Ronson media

David Nahmani

Other names of producers who participated in sharing producer packs (royalty-free loops, beats, instruments, drum kits, synth patches, and samples) include Boys Noize, Mark Lettieri, Oak Felder, Soulection, Take A Daytrip, Tom Misch, and TRAKGIRL.

Not sure exactly what this means to us Logic Pro users, but I suppose the two (GB and LP) being so closely related probably means that something like that may be included in the next Logic Pro release as well?

GarageBand amps up music creation with all-new Sound Packs from Dua Lipa, Lady Gaga, and today’s top music producers

I use my iPad for music ideas. Once I have something I like, I move into Logic for serious work. I found that loops and drum sounds in GB for iOS were not available for GB or Logic on my Mac, which cause me some frustration so I opened a case/ticket with Apple. They suggested exporting the GB for iOS project to GB for Mac and once open the loops would be automatically downloaded to the GB Sound Library on my Mac. (Presumably this would make them available to Logic as well)

Haven’t tried it yet.

Step 1 - navigate to iCloud Drive/GarageBand for iOS

Step 2 - control-click on Break My Heart and open in Logic Pro

Step 3 - enjoy fiddling about

Extra credit - convert all the audio files (.caf) to "User Loops" via the Export command

Voila - all the cool loops now in your library.

I tried Importing projects from GarageBand for iOS into Logic that had content from the new Producer Packs but it isn't importing. Usually whenever I import a project with content from a new soundpack (like Skyline Heat back when it was first released), Logic would prompt me and ask if I would like to download additional content, but it isn't doing that this time. Hopefully this is a temporary issue and will be resolved in the next update. Does anyone else have more information about this?

Step 1 - navigate to iCloud Drive/GarageBand for iOS

Step 2 - control-click on Break My Heart and open in Logic Pro

Step 3 - enjoy fiddling about

Extra credit - convert all the audio files (.caf) to "User Loops" via the Export command

Voila - all the cool loops now in your library.

Ok - that makes sense, but the Dua Lipa - Break My Heart loop grid has only the loops for that 1 pack. There are 10 other Producer Packs by artist, each with their own sample loop grid. While I can open each produce pack loop grid in GarageBand iOS, they don’t appear in the iCloud Drive / GarageBand for iOS folder. Maybe it’s no more complicated than saving each artist loop grid to iCloud iDrive and opening each in Logic?

Also, each producer pack has 135 - 200 loops, but only a smaller number are in the sample loop grid. When I export to the loop library, it only exports the loops in the grid (no surprise). I’d have to add all the loops to a GarageBand iOS project for each producer pack, then do the same routine as above. I think somebody has already done this, and made the project available…. I can’t remember but I’ll check around.

Hey - I’m not seriously complaining, I just wish Apple made these new producer packs easily available to Logic users.

Patrick from TheGargeBandGuide YouTube channel has a hack for getting GarageBand iOS Producer Pack samples into GarageBand Mac. Presumably you could open his GarageBand Mac project in Logic to get the same result. I haven’t tried it yet, but will tonight.

https://thegaragebandguide.com/sound-pack-hack

If this works, when you open the project in GB on your Mac, the samples are automatically downloaded to the GB loops library, which is also available in Logic. The challenge is creating a GB iOS project with all the loops of a given Producer Pack in it. I did a little investigation. The latest 8 artist producer packs have a total of 2253 samples! I’m not sure GB iOS can accommodate a Live Loops project of that size, so you might have to do it Pack by Pack in segments.

I don't think that's the issue, at least not with all of the packs. The Remix Sessions for Lady Gaga and Dua Lipa are indeed not royalty free and those projects are for personal use only (Ironically, those are the ones I haven't had trouble importing). But as far as I know, the Producer Packs (Boys Noize, TRAKGIRL etc.) are royalty free and can be used in original songs even commercially, just like the Sound Packs and the rest of the content on GarageBand. Feel free to correct me if I mixed something up

I don't think that's the issue, at least not with all of the packs. The Remix Sessions for Lady Gaga and Dua Lipa are indeed not royalty free and those projects are for personal use only (Ironically, those are the ones I haven't had trouble importing). But as far as I know, the Producer Packs (Boys Noize, TRAKGIRL etc.) are royalty free and can be used in original songs even commercially, just like the Sound Packs and the rest of the content on GarageBand. Feel free to correct me if I mixed something up

Correct! However, I have not found a way to get the latest artist Producer Packs (8) from GB iOS to GB Mac or Logic. I’m no expert on GB.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here’s the latest. You can create a GB iOS project, and include 1 loop from each of the new Producer Packs, then open that GB iOS Project in Logic on your Mac. It will prompt you to download the additional content.

The *.caf files will be added to you loop library, and it will automatically reindex.

You’ll get the newest loops, but be missing some of the instrument content. You can get this by opening each Artist Live Loop session in GB iOS, make some minor change like adding a loop, so it will save. Then transfer the GB Live Loop project to your Mac and open it in Logic. You’ll be prompted to download the additional content. You’ll have to repeat this for each GB iOS Live Loops artist session.

Note: if you try this in GB for Mac, you’ll need the latest version of GB which requires Big Sur. Otherwise when opening a GB iOS project file, you won’t be prompted for the content download. I’m running Catalina, so GB for Mac would not force the content download. Fortunately, Logic 10.6 on Catalina works fine.