Score Editor object "linked" to wrong part of score

bluesnfire401
Go to solution Solved by volovicg,

Every so often when I go to move a score object like a chord, SOME objects behave very strangely and seem to want to "link" (correct term?) to a different part of the score and/or will simply not move where my cursor is. Here's a screen recording of the anomaly --->
The first chord I move behaves normally and easily "links" to whatever beat it is nearest to. The second chord however seems linked to objects several lines up and as you can see in the end will not even follow my cursor position and instead snaps/links to the end of the line above it when it try to move it. What's going on? How do I fix it? Thanks so much, smart people!

Look up at your arrange window and confirm for me that measure 9 is the start of a new region.

Objects cannot be dragged and dropped across regions only within a region - you will need to either join the two regions into 1 or use copy / paste to insert the chord into the mew region

Look up at your arrange window and confirm for me that measure 9 is the start of a new region.

Objects cannot be dragged and dropped across regions only within a region - you will need to either join the two regions into 1 or use copy / paste to insert the chord into the mew region

Thanks for the reply. It's all one region.

989672653_ScreenShot2021-07-29at10_44_45PM.thumb.png.c7aecf053d268d90ab9ec1d8925e31e4.png

• Solution

When you use the pointer tool to move objects - you move the anchor point of the object ( where it is connected to the staff)..... The layout tool lets you move the position of the object relative to a fixed anchor point.... ( or anchor point does not move)...

What is happening is since you Source chord is position to the right of the anchor point - when you drag the object - even though visually it looks like where it should be placed.... it actually is placing the anchor point.. so when you move left to far - it is anchoring to the staff above it ( to the right)....

To make this more intuitive for you.... copy the chord to anywhere it remains visible in the destination region... then using the layout tool - position the object - appropriately over the anchor point, now when you move the chord left or right with the pointer tool, the anchor won''t be so far off to one side and more aligned with your visual observation.

LPH501.thumb.gif.35449f733d59d776d0e5d3a4913a001d.gif