Organising multiple songs/album

fenglich

I mix multiple songs for jazz ensembles. The musicians and instruments stay the same, but the songs differs. The current project (16 channels) of four songs were recorded in the same Logic project, one after the other.

The question is how to proceed now in the most practical manner. One approach is to mix all songs in one project, another is to split the project up into one per song and mix them individually. The first alternative means the mixing is uniform for all songs which makes individual song adjustment complicated at best. The latter alternative means all mixing/setup must be done individually for each song (which is messy, say maybe the chain for the bass is the same across all songs). I don't know which alternative is worst/best.

One way is to do as much as possible that is common among the songs (say setup and organisation, those things), *before* copying/splitting into individual projects. After the split, one will have to resort to tedious copy/paste and syncing manually between the projects.

I've also run into this problem for a solo piano project. I have multiple songs which feels most natural to have as one project per song (with takes), but then you get the problem that the setup is the same across projects/songs. I have a template for it, but it doesn't solve syncing afterwards.

Any thoughts?

I would try this:

Mix one song thoroughly to get all the plugins, bussing and grouping going. Probably the first or the one that is the busiest.

Don't add automation yet. Save the project and name it by song or as a master template.

Then do a Save As, here you can choose to not include assets, and call it the second song.

Then work on that one so see if what you did so far makes sense.

Repeat for every song.

And since you're not including assets when you Save As, project size shouldn't increase much.

Only include assets (meaning audio files) if you record or add other audio stuff.