Projects, created on a non-M1 behaving strangely on M1

St0rMl0rD

Hi,

So I've been testing a M1 MacBook Air with Logic Pro X for some days or so. I have issues because when I load projects that I created with a 2019 MacBook Pro and the Logic that is running there, those projects easily cause the System Overload messages, when I play them back on the M1 machine. If I create a new project on M1, it runs fine, but I haven't yet created a full (and resource heavy) project on the M1 yet. I've tried running it in both Rosetta as well as a non-Rosetta mode, doesn't seem to be any different.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Until this is sorted, I'll have to stick with the properly working 2019 MBP and the Logic and plugins and libraries on that machine. I have the same plugins and libraries installed on both machines for the duration of the testing. I'm only using stock plugins and NI Kontakt and libraries in it for the particular project I'm testing this with.

Thanks!

This may be a pain but I had a project that was screwed up ages ago after an upgrade and I ‘manually migrated’ it to a new project.

I copied each track and each parameter, then moved either the midi file or audio file to their matching tracks and got it to work. My project was crashing and not overloading but just thought I’d drop that idea in case it helps you out of a non working situation

did you do clean installs of logic, and your third-party plugins? or did you migrate those things.

check that your NI stuff is up-to-date; possibly try a reinstall of that plugin/content. and you could do a test project on the 2019 mac with ONLY logic plugins, see how that does on the M1. also, are you running rosetta2 or native?...

Maybe this video can be useful:

Thanks, will def check it out!

The projects are on an external SSD (500 MB/s read and write speed), formatted as macOS Extended (Journaled).

APFS was designed for SSDs.

Any reason you're not using it on the external SSD you got?

Yes, the hard drive must be compatible with several computers I use (also a third one, which doesn't support APFS).

OK, I did a complete erase of the hard drive, fresh install of macOS Big Sur, installed Logic Pro X and Native Access, and linked a few libraries that I used in the project I'm testing. Here are the issues, straight out of the box:

1. getting the "AUHostingCompabilityService (Logic Pro) wants to make changes" prompt several times, every time I open the project

2. takes quite a long time to load the plugins (about the same time than my previous laptop, 2019 MBP with 32GB RAM

3. there's something not working right with audio, if I change the volume, stuff starts freezing up, if I press the Shift+volume knobs, no sound comes out as it should, etc. When I play back the project, it doesn't produce audio. See the video:

All in all, not working properly AT ALL. And this is just stock Logic, Kontakt, Kontakt 6 and a few libraries, nothing else.

Have you tried Logic Pro (10.6.3) as opposed to some variant of Logic Pro X (last was 10.5.1)

Are you sure that your keyboard keys are mapped to perform "logo functions" where they raise and lower sound as opposed to being simply function keys?

There was only Logic Pro available in the App Store when I installed it. The volume buttons work fine even within Logic if that project isn't loaded.