Drawing Automation events for a region issue

DamoDiggler

Hello!

Just confused as to what I may be doing wrong to invoke such behavior, but as you might be able to see.. when I attempt to use my pencil to draw velocity.. a Line appears from the left, like a 'ghost region'... and doesn't allow me to start drawing within my selected region. (I have only 1 region selected).

hmmm..

294770202_ScreenShot2021-08-02at6_08_05pm.thumb.png.710705bdbe4349e9ec411b2a25febafe.png

Hi David,

Thanks for the prompt response.. I did think this was the case and I extended the region borders all the way outwards and deleted the notes.. but it still persisted to behave in this manor even without notes.

I've managed to figure out a workaround but, not sure why I can't just draw straight into that region.. is there a way to 'crop' the region into just the frame I am looking at?! .. or will the region always retain the history of notes ?

Thanks for your help,

Damian

is there a way to 'crop' the region into just the frame I am looking at?!

There is a key command called "Delete MIDI events Outside Region Boundaries." You need to assign the command -- there is no default for it.

Also, if ever you wonder if there is any MIDI data outside region boundaries, "Set Optimal Region / Cell Lengths Rounded by Bar" will expand or contract the region borders accordingly. I use this a lot to tidy up the Tracks area and check for overlooked data. If the last note of a region extends to the next bar even by one tick, this command will expand the region to include the full bar.

A companion key command is "Set Optimal Region / Cell Lengths Rounded by Note Value."

not sure why I can't just draw straight into that region.. is there a way to 'crop' the region into just the frame I am looking at?! .. or will the region always retain the history of notes ?

If you want to save a copy of that project, delete all tracks and regions but the one showing this issue and attaching it here, I'll have a look: How to attach files to your post