Flex Artifacts Drum Loops

soniquetemusic

Good day to all,

My name is Lorenzo. I produce latin genres and would like to ask for your help regarding a 'flex' issue I'm having since a while.

In my project file, I have a single .wav drum loop I made myself. 'Flex' is activated, in order to have it adjust automatically to changes in the project tempo. The loop was originally recorded at 91 bpm (48 kHz) and I would like to use it at a tempo somewhere between 80 to 85 bpm.

Before, doing this kind of tempo change with this specific loop would produce practically zero artifacts. However, it is now producing clear audible artifacts (smearing of the sound) when lowering the tempo below the original file tempo. Raising the tempo, on the other hand, doesn't produce any issues.

Things I've tried:

- re-sample loop by recording it onto a new track via a bus, exporting it as a new loop afterwards

- bounce in place and try with the bounced file

- convert loop to a 44 kHz file

- save file in different format than .wav

- chopping drum loop into separate drum hits and recreating the loop, exporting it as a complete loop afterwards again

- stretching the loop without using flex (using the time stretch option and manually adjusting it)

- tried all the different flex algorithms (Slicing, Polyphonic, Monophonic, Rhythmic, etc.)

Nothing works.

Attached you will find a project file for Logic Pro X, including the drum loop. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

Edited by soniquetemusic

The loop was originally recorded at 91 bpm (48 kHz) and I would like to use it at a tempo somewhere between 80 to 85 bpm.

Before, doing this kind of tempo change with this specific loop would produce practically zero artifacts. However, it is now producing clear audible artifacts (smearing of the sound) when lowering the tempo below the original file tempo.

I tried it just now: downloaded your project, listened to the loop at 91 BPM, then lowered the tempo to 80 BPM, then tried 85 BPM. No audible artifacts here. I can't reproduce the issue? It sounds pretty good to me.