Accidentally recorded everything in mono. How do I ensure I record in stereo next time?

spincycle

I spent a day last week recording a solo instrumental piece using two SDC microphones. I had them hooked up to an audio interface and was receiving a signal from both. I recorded what I assumed was a stereo image in Logic Pro X, but when opening the files today to master I realized these are mono recordings. I guess I assumed incorrectly that if two mics were hooked up and receiving signals, Logic would automatically record in stereo. I will need to re-record everything.

Can someone walk me through the steps of setting up Logic to record in stereo so that this doesn't happen again?

Thanks in advance.

Logic records on the format of the audio channel that you’re recording on. If you set the channel to mono, then it will record from the selected mono input. If it’s set to stereo, it will record a stereo file from the input pair selected.

Were you recording two mono tracks, one for each mic input? Or were you recording one mono track from input 1, and just not recording from input 2?

Also before recording anything important, don’t assume, *test*. Do a test recording, and check it’s working correctly and as expected. Once you’re good, you can go for the proper recording with confidence.

Thank you all for the replies. My recordings appear as individual mono tracks (I.e. each take is a mono track, not two separate mono tracks per take). In other words, it looks like I only recorded from one of the two mics. I saw both LED lights flashing on my audio interface indicating both mics were receiving a signal, so I thought that meant Logic would record from both mics. Now I see I needed to set something up input-wise in Logic before I started recording. Can anyone explain to me like I’m 5 exactly how to go about doing this? Thanks much

Thank you all for the replies. My recordings appear as individual mono tracks (I.e. each take is a mono track, not two separate mono tracks per take). In other words, it looks like I only recorded from one of the two mics. I saw both LED lights flashing on my audio interface indicating both mics were receiving a signal, so I thought that meant Logic would record from both mics.

Logic records inputs on your audio interface. You select which input you want to record at the top of the R-enabled audio channel strip. If the Input pop-up menu at the top of the channel strip says "Input 1" then Logic records only the mic connected into input 1 on your audio interface, as a mono recording. If the top of the channel strip says "In 1-2" (see screenshot below) then Logic records both mics, input 1 = left channel and input 2 = right channel of a stereo recording.

You can click the little button directly to the left of the Input pop-up menu to toggle between a mono input or a stereo input.

1898081471_Inputs1-2(stereo).png.5b68a4b5dcb79c06e8c49cf577766b7c.png

I saw both LED lights flashing on my audio interface indicating both mics were receiving a signal, so I thought that meant Logic would record from both mics

Logic has no control over what's happening on your hardware.

Logic only receives input signals that you as the person in charge specifies.

Logic cannot assume anything. You tell it what it has to do.