Troubleshooting beyond the obvious?

AMD

Hello everyone.

I began having problems with Logic on my previous system, which was a mid 2012 MBP running Mojave. The issues began happening after the big Logic update which included the step sequencer and live loops etc. Can't remember the version now. The issue involved frequent, momentary freezes accompanied by the beachball when using the step sequencer or moving MIDI or Pattern Regions around, copying, pasting etc.

Firstly I tried everything on this list https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT200260. None of that helped, so I got in touch with Apple about it. They were reluctant to investigate because my MBP was, in their eyes, 'obsolete'. All they could suggest was creating a new volume on my SSD and doing a fresh install of macOS and Logic. I did that and installed Catalina on the new volume, but nothing changed. I was able to replicate the freezes in new and old projects on both the Mojave volume and the Catalina one, so Apple said that it was most likely a performance issue that could only be resolved by upgrading the MBP. They would say that :)

Anyway, I now have a 2018 MBP, with a much higher spec than my old one. It's running a fresh install of Catalina and Logic 10.6.3. So far I haven't been able to replicate the freezes in new projects, but if I open the older ones, the freezes still happen in those projects. I have tried importing everything from some of the old projects into new ones, but still the freezes occur.

Does that sound like corrupt Logic files? Is there anything else I can try to investigate what's causing the freezes, or is there any way I can get data from the old projects into new ones without carrying across whatever the hell is causing the freezes?

Thanks for reading.

The issues began happening after the big Logic update which included the step sequencer and live loops etc. Can't remember the version now.

That was the Logic Pro X 10.5 update.

Does that sound like corrupt Logic files? Is there anything else I can try to investigate what's causing the freezes, or is there any way I can get data from the old projects into new ones without carrying across whatever the hell is causing the freezes?

If the issue is only with specific project files and not others then it does sound like corrupt project files.

To rebuilt the project, open a new empty project, choose File > Import > Logic Projects... locate the project, select which tracks you want to import (including global tracks) and import them. Sometimes, if the corruption is tied to a specific track, reimporting that specific track will reimport the corruption, so it's possible that you may have to experiment rebuilding projects with various sets of tracks to see which work and which don't. Arm yourself with patience, and good luck!

Hello David and Thanks for your reply.

I didn’t realise that corruption could be tied to a specific track. That’s very interesting because in one of the older projects it involved pattern regions playing the Logic Deep Tech DMD Kit. It seemed that the pattern regions themselves were slow and sluggish to edit and copy and paste etc.

I will try rebuilding the project as you suggested, piece by piece, when my patience resets. I’m all out of it at the moment :|

I will try rebuilding the project as you suggested, piece by piece, when my patience resets. I’m all out of it at the moment :|

Yes I completely understand. You need to be in the right headspace and well rested to do this kind of work. Best of luck.

Indeed. Thanks David.