How to assign a midi channel range to a track

ms54321

Hi, I have a digital piano and a seaboard. Of all the daw's I've tried I really like Logic the best so I am determined to get this working lol.

I can make my digital piano output on channel 16 and I can make my seaboard output on channel 1-15.

I can obviously then assign a logic track/instrument to channel 16 for the digital piano, but how do I assign a track to channel 1-15 ?

Intention is to be able to play/record the digi piano and seaboard at the same time. I know logic is infamous for being unable to use more than 16 midi channels but is it possible to do as above and assign a track to 1-15 ?

Many thanks

I wonder if this would work if you made a summing track stack with 15 subtracks assigned channels 1 through 15 and then R-enable the stack?

Thanks David but I'm afraid that went right over my head lol. How would I do what you suggest exactly? Are there instructions somewhere.

Thanks

Create a track for your instrument and set its channel to 1.

Choose Track > Other > New Track with Next MIDI Channel or press the equivalent key command 14 times. Select all 15 tracks and choose Track > Create Track Stack, and in the alert choose "Summing".

Thanks, ok so that was good in theory but not in practice as what you end up with is pressing a key on the seaboard on the summed track plays 15 instances of the instrument at once (which does not sound good lol). Each key on the seaboard outputs to all 15 channels due to the way MPE works.

Is there another way of achieving what I'm after? Is there something I can do in the environment for example - could I assign 1-15 as Input1 and 16 as Input2 and then assign either Input1 or Input2 to a track? (sorry I'm new to this so am just guessing).

Thanks, ok so that was good in theory but not in practice as what you end up with is pressing a key on the seaboard on the summed track plays 15 instances of the instrument at once

There should be only one instance of the instrument. If you follow my instructions, there should be no additional channel strips (or instruments) are created in the Mixer.

Thanks, ok so that was good in theory but not in practice as what you end up with is pressing a key on the seaboard on the summed track plays 15 instances of the instrument at once

There should be only one instance of the instrument. If you follow my instructions, there should be no additional channel strips (or instruments) are created in the Mixer.

Apologies, followed exactly this time and it worked fine. But! it seems that Logic isn't differentiating the midi channels at all. So forgetting about the seaboard for a minute - when I assign my digital piano to output midi on channel 16 and I create a logic track (normal software instrument track) and choose any channel at all the note plays. I tried it on other daw's and it only plays on channel 16, but in logic no matter what channel you choose it plays? Why on earth would that be?

Thanks

Yeah I have that demix channel setting checkbox checked and I have each track record enabled, digi piano outputting on channel 16, seaboard outputting on channel 1 (for testing purposes), first track midi channel set to 16, second track midi channel set to 1. Both tracks play when I play either keyboard (but I want the keyboards to only play their corresponding tracks)

Hi David, progress! I got two tracks working as intended - one controlled by the digi piano and one controlled by the seaboard. But am I limited to being able to play/record only two tracks this way? I added a third track, record enabled all tracks, but it will only let me play two tracks simultaneously.

For example, is this possible:

Track 1 - strings (controlled by seaboard)

Track 2 - trumpet (controlled by seaboard)

Track 3 - organ (controlled by digi piano)

Track 4 - piano (controlled by digi piano)

Playing seaboard I want to hear strings and trumpet

Playing digi piano I want to hear organ and piano

Playing seaboard + digi piano I want to hear all 4 instruments

But am I limited to being able to play/record only two tracks this way? I added a third track, record enabled all tracks, but it will only let me play two tracks simultaneously.

No, you can control up to 16 tracks on 16 distinct MIDI channels.

For example, is this possible:

Track 1 - strings (controlled by seaboard)

Track 2 - trumpet (controlled by seaboard)

Track 3 - organ (controlled by digi piano)

Track 4 - piano (controlled by digi piano)

Let's assume you set each track to the corresponding MIDI Channel (Track 1 to channel 1, etc).

Playing seaboard I want to hear strings and trumpet.

Playing digi piano I want to hear organ and piano

Playing seaboard + digi piano I want to hear all 4 instruments

You could create transformers in the environment to copy channel 1 to channel 2 and channel 3 to channel 4.

I finally got this working, the only thing is I can't keep tracks armed for record - each time I click on a track all other tracks become disarmed, so every time I put the focus on a track I have to click to arm each of the other tracks again. Is there a way to make the record armed stick ?

You can group the tracks with the "Record" setting enabled. Then you only need to select one of the grouped tracks to have them all record armed.

Thanks, are you meaning grouping as in stacking? I've got several track stacks and several individual tracks - no matter what combination is armed for recording if you select any track anywhere it unarms all the other tracks (this is with the demix channel setting enabled, which I need to have, so not sure if that's what causes this disarming behaviour?)

Which Logic version are you running?

Over here, selecting one track and clicking on the other track's R buttons (to record-enable them), then selecting other tracks doesn't disengage their R buttons.

I don't know if there's a setting or preference to be set which differs in my case compared to yours...

JacobP's tip seems to be a good workaround in such event.