Scroll bar interferes while editing midi automation

amusong

I am editing expression automation on the piano roll. Some of the data lies right at the bottom of the panel (it's when I take a breath on my breath controller during long sustained passages). See attached image. The levels of automation are generally low for the rest of the piece as well, so I am working right at the bottom of the panel quite a bit.

When I try to use the mouse, or the pencil tool, down there it activates the scroll bar and it pops up right where the data is. Then I can't select the data and, if I inadvertently click on the scroll while is there instead (happens often) the project scrolls madly off into the distance! So then I have to go find out where my piano roll went and ....I still can't edit my automation data.

It's not the end of the world, but I am going to have dozens of tracks like this to work with, and it's driving me nuts. Is there any way to stop the scroll bar lighting up when I move the mouse down to there?

687877172_ScreenShot2021-08-08at7_43_32pm.thumb.png.f93d6482d08587fc4171d9d78a997622.png

Yeah this really bugs me. But I found that avoiding the horizontal scroll operation on the mouse (I have a Magic Mouse 2) while anywhere in the pane's scroller area avoids the scroll knob appearing.

In other words...when I need to edit down at the bottom of the automation lane, I'm really careful not to swipe left or right on top of the mouse. If I don't swipe, then I can get right down there on the bottom of the pane and select an automation point. Moving the mouse itself (on the table, pad, etc.) is OK, that doesn't cause the scroll knob to appear. It's just the horizontal scroll gesture that ruins everything.

Hmmmmm...I don't have a mouse dmitch57, I use the trackpad on my Macbook. So I don't have a scroll gesture unless I deliberately use two fingers. It is not a scroll gesture causing my problem, but if you can avoid the problem by not using a scroll gesture, then maybe I can too. I wonder if there could be a setting somewhere that allows you to go into the scroll bar area without activating it?

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

This issue is spectacularly annoying. It only seems to happen when I use a magic mouse, which is an Apple product, using Apple's software. It's almost impossible (especially when working fast) to avoid triggering the horizontal scroll and obscuring the lower values of the automation. (I often just want to adjust the values, so even getting a hold of them to start at a higher value before pulling down isn't really an option). Workflow killer. Might have to abandon the mouse. 

• Sad 1