scrolling and the cursor bar

KeithJames
Go to solution Solved by Atlas007,

This is very basic Logic Pro question here, but I have been wasting time on this for as long as I have been using (10+ years).

Two related things: I'm not able to control whether when playing and watching a specific piano roll track whether it's going to scroll forward on its own or whether I will have to keep dragging the track forward as it goes so I can continue to watch the play back. The manner is always random and I don't know how to intentionally snap the cursor line in place and have the notes go by, or at least have it page forward when the cursor line gets to the end of the visible section.

Then there is another very basic issue which I would love to have control over: When I am working on a specific track in the piano roll, and then I want to click to another track in the same spot, I do not know how to control that all the tracks will show at the current place of the line cursor. So when I go to compare another track the cursor might be 40 bars ahead and I'll have to drag it back and relocate where I was. How do you snap all the tracks to be showing at the same place where the cursor line is at the moment?

Thanks

This is very basic Logic Pro question here, but I have been wasting time on this for as long as I have been using (10+ years).

Two related things: I'm not able to control whether when playing and watching a specific piano roll track whether it's going to scroll forward on its own or whether I will have to keep dragging the track forward as it goes so I can continue to watch the play back. The manner is always random and I don't know how to intentionally snap the cursor line in place and have the notes go by, or at least have it page forward when the cursor line gets to the end of the visible section.

You are probably referring to Catch Playhead and Scroll in play features which can respectively be enabled via the dedicated button and in the View menu, or (more efficiently) engaged via appropriate key commands. As demonstrated in this video turorial

Then there is another very basic issue which I would love to have control over: When I am working on a specific track in the piano roll, and then I want to click to another track in the same spot, I do not know how to control that all the tracks will show at the current place of the line cursor. So when I go to compare another track the cursor might be 40 bars ahead and I'll have to drag it back and relocate where I was. How do you snap all the tracks to be showing at the same place where the cursor line is at the moment?...
Catch Playhead will move the view to the current playhead location.

Reciprocally, if you want to move the playhead to a selected location, one could use the GoTo Selection... keycommand

Hi Atlas007:

While this info was helpful in general, it didn’t answer my question. I’m going to re-word it: I’ll be playing my project and viewing one track in the piano roll in the up close view on the bottom. I’ll hit stop because I want to see what is going on in the same spot on a different track. So I click on a track or a section of a track, doesn’t matter, and still more likely than not the close up view of the track in the piano roll will NOT be at the location of the line/cursor. Where I am expecting that if I click on ANY track I should see that track at the location of the cursor. But it doesn’t work that way, every track when clicked on goes to a totally different location on the track when I want to easily click on any track and see the cursor and that location up and down the project. Does that make sense? Playing with the catch playhead and the scroll in place options didn’t seem to help me with this. I did realize however that I don’t like viewing it with scroll in place. I prefer to see the notes moving and then the view jumping to the next area when the playhead gets to the end. But that is digressing. My big question is: Why can’t I click on any track and have the view show the same place, that being WHERE the play head is?

• Solution
...Why can’t I click on any track and have the view show the same place, that being WHERE the play head is?
I don't have an explanation for the reason of such behaviour.

Logic seems to retain the last edited location (or selected event) of each track, regardless of the playhead current position,

which will likely differ over time from track to track and from piano roll area to track main area. To me that make sense, as it allows performing different editions to different location's with less navigation actions. In your scenario, it seems to be the opposite.

As a workaround I was (and still am) suggesting the following:

Clicking on the Catch Playhead button should do just that: bring the view around the playhead's current position.

438069852_catchplayheadbutton.png.3999a94da13216ec97288bb1b30093e8.png

Depending of the different zoom of each track in either area (piano roll vs track main area), the playhead may not appear exactly in the middle of the displayed area but definitely encompass it

You may have to click twice (that Catch Playhead button) if it is already enabled, which will trigger the catching action.

Using key command (default US: ) makes it easier.

FWIW I have the same frustration as stated by DeigoJames, and I also use Atlas007's workaround of clicking Catch Playhead twice when selecting a new region. Good idea about using the key command instead of the mouse to do this. But I wish there was a way to make this more automatic. (I find it puzzling that Catch Playhead is enabled when selecting a region, yet the cursor is offscreen nevertheless.)

...I find it puzzling that Catch Playhead is enabled when selecting a region, yet the cursor is offscreen nevertheless.)
Catch Playhead button remaining engaged (while the playhead had left the display area), following an event selection is a bug.

IIRW, there were mention about Catch Playhead's misbehaviour in other topics as well...

Thanks Atlas007... that default Catch Playhead key command (grave) is convenient on my keyboard... I'll be working a quick double-tap into my muscle memory... :)
Would you be a french speaking person (just out of curiosity)?

LOL, no... they only French I learned to speak very fluently for my travels: "Je ne parle pas français, Je suis désolé", which actually works very well to establish rapport.

(But I do know my keyboard characters, and a number of programming languages :))

Thanks for all of the above comments. Upon Atlas's suggestion the first time I didn't have success but it could have been a short site on my end. Sometimes I forget that there is this selection of buttons on both the tracks overview AND the close up view of the track I may be working with and this may have had to do with not having success, as well as confusing myself all the other parameters that I never did much with under "function" and "view" but was clicking off and on at same time as trying to figure out this work around. All of the above info is helpful and I'll probably be fine with Atlas' work around,. Thank you.