Bouncing Stems doesn't print effects to stem

Zipfunk

how would a reverb that, for example, has a piano, a synth, a vocal signal, separate out those elements? it can't. so if you MUST print effects, the simplest thing would be to have them on each channel strip.

and here, someone more knowledgeable, should jump in, in case i'm missing something (or am wrong)...

You're probably not wrong. I'm a little in the dark on this.

I tried OPT/Dragging the effects on to the track in question but the sound was terrible (probably because the sends let a percentage of the effect on the signal like an effects loop.

I also tried just bouncing the one track in place and it didn't copy the Bus Effects either.

how would a reverb that, for example, has a piano, a synth, a vocal signal, separate out those elements? it can't. so if you MUST print effects, the simplest thing would be to have them on each channel strip.

and here, someone more knowledgeable, should jump in, in case i'm missing something (or am wrong)...

You're probably not wrong. I'm a little in the dark on this.

I tried OPT/Dragging the effects on to the track in question but the sound was terrible (probably because the sends let a percentage of the effect on the signal like an effects loop.

I also tried just bouncing the one track in place and it didn't copy the Bus Effects either.

just adjust the dry/wet balance of an effect on a track insert (within the effects parameters), serves the same function as the aux send.

The fundamental problem is that the traditional way of doing "wet" FX like reverb is to use them on their own FX return (aux channel), and send various amounts of various tracks to that reverb. This comes from the days where you only had limited hardware FX units and thus had to "share" them, you couldn't put 19 different reverbs on 19 different tracks etc.

What this does is help "glue" the mix as various things are crossfeeding into various FX busses, and this is generally regarded as a good thing.

The problem comes because in the old days, there wasn't really such as thing as "stems" - they are a fairly new thing in the history of production. And when you want to export out isolated stems, their FX are not with that stem. The film guys tend to keep stems with their own FX, and thus miss out on the glue that blending FX busses (and master bus processing) allows, but this allows for a much easier workflow, which is more important.

So if you know you need to bounce out stems, you have to bear in mind what the effects are doing, where they need to go, and what's going on *after* the stems (ie master bus processing) because that stuff won't be burned into the stems, and if you *do* render that stuff into a stem, the result of combining stems won't sound the same as your starting mix.

So there's a bunch of complications that you need to manage as you work, to give you the workflow you need. If stem export is a constant thing you need to do, then you should probably think about limiting FX returns to only that stem, and not sharing them (ie, don't send a bit of snare in your vocal reverb, and so on), and route the FX returns for each stem to a master stem bus, so that stem always contains the FX that that stem needs.

You still have to factor in master bus processing too, but that's always an issue in bouncing pre-mix stems.

Some things to think about - there are no ideal strategies as such, it's up to you to figure out what you need and how you need to work to be productive...

The fundamental problem is that the traditional way of doing "wet" FX like reverb is to use them on their own FX return (aux channel), and send various amounts of various tracks to that reverb. This comes from the days where you only had limited hardware FX units and thus had to "share" them, you couldn't put 19 different reverbs on 19 different tracks etc.

What this does is help "glue" the mix as various things are crossfeeding into various FX busses, and this is generally regarded as a good thing.

The problem comes because in the old days, there wasn't really such as thing as "stems" - they are a fairly new thing in the history of production. And when you want to export out isolated stems, their FX are not with that stem. The film guys tend to keep stems with their own FX, and thus miss out on the glue that blending FX busses (and master bus processing) allows, but this allows for a much easier workflow, which is more important.

So if you know you need to bounce out stems, you have to bear in mind what the effects are doing, where they need to go, and what's going on *after* the stems (ie master bus processing) because that stuff won't be burned into the stems, and if you *do* render that stuff into a stem, the result of combining stems won't sound the same as your starting mix.

So there's a bunch of complications that you need to manage as you work, to give you the workflow you need. If stem export is a constant thing you need to do, then you should probably think about limiting FX returns to only that stem, and not sharing them (ie, don't send a bit of snare in your vocal reverb, and so on), and route the FX returns for each stem to a master stem bus, so that stem always contains the FX that that stem needs.

You still have to factor in master bus processing too, but that's always an issue in bouncing pre-mix stems.

Some things to think about - there are no ideal strategies as such, it's up to you to figure out what you need and how you need to work to be productive...

Usually I don't use too many stems (just a reverb to make the whole orchestra sound together)

I used Orchestral Marimba from Logic's own plugins and didn't really pay attention to the busses. I'l not do that again.

Is there any work around right now to get me past this project?

Just bounce the stem, add it back in as an audio track?