Draw in midi notes on Ipad

Radiussound

I did try Duet Display.

Understandably, you need to have them installed on both the Mac and the iPad.

The macOS (and/or Windows) apps are free but the iPad's one isn't.

It's currently on sale (~$14CND).

In terms of GUI direct access, I find Duet Display working better than V-Control, which kind of offer(ed in the old Pro v.1.9) some similar window replication (besides its other touch controls mode).

Duet works indeed better than the V-Control, as the latter's actual multitouch is only available in the DAW‘s dedicated touch control mode.

V-Control's remote screen mode replicates the plugin's GUI in a rather small window, although resizable, would not use the iPad's full screen area.

Duet Display uses the full iPad's screen size area.

V-Control being a virtual MIDI controller features only dedicated functions for DAWs (such as Logic).

Duet Display acts as a second screen monitor app for the iPad, and could be useful for all the apps currently running on your Mac.

It can be used as a replication of the current Mac desktop or as a second one.

It can therefore be used as a multitouch remote control of your Mac.

IOW, whatever can be done on your Mac using a mouse (or trackpad, etc) can be remotely done with your finger(s) directly on the GUI displayed your iPad.

However Duet Display multitouch control is rather limited to two fingers (at least on my system). Also,I tested same only with Logic

That allows to zoom in/out in the editors (i.e. piano roll, track), ride faders, etc.

Piano Roll edition is feasible but cumbersome to be honest. It often requires zooming in to permit a precise (big) finger selection of a note, thus limiting the extent of its further adjustments… In that respect, GarageBand works way better!

I did not extensively tested it with all plugins.

I felt a bit disappointed that not all Logic's native plugins would respond smoothly. For instance the EFM1 touch dragging up/down would not gradually move the target virtual knob; it would change the parameter only when the finger is lifted from the iPad screen. Thus. instead of scrolling gradually the value parameter, it would jump from its original set value (at finger touch down) directly to the release value setting (when lifting the finger from the screen), without any changes in between. Worse, there are no visual cue occurring during the movement (while the finger is in contact with the screen), thus no indication that the value change or the knob had moved. That graphical update would appear only once the finger had been lifted from the screen.

Duet Display features an optional touchbar which is somewhat useful but limitedly implemented for 3rd party apps.

In some 3rd party plugins (i.e. AAS and Spectrasonic), touching a knob would open its contextual menu to assign a MIDI control which prevents its movement (rendering its parameter adjustment impossible).

I also find that disabling that touchbar improves direct GUI control responsiveness.

Duet works best when wiredly-connected. Lagging is then hardly perceptible.

I noticed audio delay (~ 0.5 second), probably due to the fact that I was using my screen monitor's microphone as audio input, to which was also connected the iPad…

All in all, if you are looking for a (small) second portable monitor, Duet Display is definitely worth it!

If you are looking for direct multitouch DAW controller à la Raven, that isn't your ticket…

I have been very happy with Sidecar (which requires an Apple Pencil for touch). Position the iPad to the proper side, turn on the Touch Bar (it's great with Logic), and move the Piano Roll window to the iPad. When you don't need to do piano roll entry detach the iPad and use Logic Remote to do everything else. I will be dedicating my older iPad to the Sidecar function. I have a keyboard for it, and the command-control-shift-option keys work with the Touch Bar.