Latency Issues on Only SOME Tracks - MIDI/Audio

saac

Hello!

I've been having a latency issue in (what appears to be) all of my sessions for a few months it seems like, and the problem's a little something like this:

- Latency on some, but not all MIDI and/or Audio tracks, causing even quantized notes/sounds to not be playing at the same time as the click and other tracks

- Some tracks seem to be delayed, and some seem to be moved BACKWARDS in time? (Is it rushing, or dragging??)

To work around this problem, I've been manually dragging problematic tracks by whatever small interval I need to until they align, but sometimes the latency is small enough that I don't notice until I've already bounced the track, at which point I have to go in and fix the issue, and bounce again.

The sessions I'm working in are large, have multiple hundred MIDI tracks (not all active simultaneously), often times several audio tracks, and have fairly complex routing.

- I'm routing all strings, brass, woodwinds, etc, each to their OWN busses, then to one PRE-OUT bus. I'm also routing all percussion (high, mid, low) to their own buses, and then one ALL PERC bus. All reverb/delay sends are grouped with their respective category; instruments to PRE-OUT, percussion to ALL PERC.

- There are some tracks that are going directly to PRE-OUT (tracks that don't fit in any particular category; mostly synths and things like that), but NONE going directly to stereo out.

I'm running a Mac mini 2018 with 6-core processor, 64GB RAM. Any ideas about this would be greatly appreciated!!

Which Logic version are you using?

The sessions I'm working in are large, have multiple hundred MIDI tracks (not all active simultaneously), often times several audio tracks, and have fairly complex routing.

Isn't there a way to simplify them?

...- I'm routing all strings, brass, woodwinds, etc, each to their OWN busses, then to one PRE-OUT bus. I'm also routing all percussion (high, mid, low) to their own buses, and then one ALL PERC bus. All reverb/delay sends are grouped with their respective category; instruments to PRE-OUT, percussion to ALL PERC.

- There are some tracks that are going directly to PRE-OUT (tracks that don't fit in any particular category; mostly synths and things like that), but NONE going directly to stereo out.

Are you using plugin delay compensation?

I'm running a Mac mini 2018 with 6-core processor, 64GB RAM. Any ideas about this would be greatly appreciated!!
You are probably hitting Logic's computing limits...

Running 10.6.2! I see that there's an update so I'll go ahead and get that going! I am using plugin delay compensation; set to All plugins.

As for simplifying the session/routing, that's definitely an option! I made this template unaware of any issues that setting up the routing this way might cause, but I'm still not exactly sure which aspect of using multiple buses could be causing latency. I'll probably have to do a little trial and error myself, just wondering if anyone had experienced something similar!

I'm doing some multi-band compression sidechaining using the percussion as a source, which is why I had it set up that way. It's probably not 100% necessary, especially if that could be part of what's causing the issues! Also it could definitely be not enough computing power. Going to upgrade when I can, but for the time being, none of my sessions are really overloading/glitching in playback.