BPM Counter In Logic ???

Pianoworldstage
Go to solution Solved by fuzzfilth,

In order to get better reading with BPM counter, percussive and steady sound are obviously preferable ifnot mandatory.

Piano fits at least the percussive category.

In order to improve BPM detection, it maybe required to increase and maintain a rather loud level at its input by mean of a compressor.

First few bars playing back in cycle may also be necessary.

I also found that setting the first down beat on the bar eases the process.

I have on occasion used an Enveloper to shape the transient and make them more percussive, which helped the BPM counter. But when the BPM counter cannot detect the tempo there are a few alternative options:

• Select an audio region, then press Option-Command-T:

395575382_detecttempo.png.00f79299d8ce119737d9738fbde374b2.png

• Use Beat Mapping: https://support.apple.com/guide/logicpro/on-audio-regions-lgcp6338b8d1/mac

• Edit > Tempo > Adjust Tempo Using Region Length and Locators.

I have on occasion used an Enveloper to shape the transient and make them more percussive, which helped the BPM counter. But when the BPM counter cannot detect the tempo there are a few alternative options:

• Select an audio region, then press Option-Command-T:

AF7D6113-3549-4566-AF5A-235404201BDE.png.4101cffea5d6bda22116561ad8cfd1e4.png

I never heard of that one! Thanx David, something new to learn about!

Speaking of something to learn about:

I never really grasped that one… Any clue?

If you have an audio file that can be looped and sound musical, and you can count, for example, 2 bars while it's looping, then you draw a 2 bar cycle, select the region and use that function: Logic then calculates the tempo so that the selected region ends up being exactly 2 bars long. Does that make sense?

If you have an audio file that can be looped and sound musical, and you can count, for example, 2 bars while it's looping, then you draw a 2 bar cycle, select the region and use that function: Logic then calculates the tempo so that the selected region ends up being exactly 2 bars long. Does that make sense?

If I understand well, Logic will compare the region's length with the locators' span and set the project tempo in order to make the regions current length lasting the cycle span.

IOW, if I have an audio region that is about 2 bars long at current project's tempo (i.e. 120) an set the cycle's length (locators span) to 4 bars long, issuing that command will increase the project tempo in order to make that audio region playing during (those) 4 bars. Ending with a project's tempo about 240...

Right?

We're talking about Edit > Tempo > Adjust Tempo Using Region Length and Locators

I see. I thought it was this one, in the Audio File Editor:

136566485_Bildschirmfoto2021-09-20um11_53_02.thumb.png.dd45c83983ea33f0b59890d3944e6881.png

...if just because Region/Selection borders can be precisely set, down to the sample level, in the Audio File Editor, which wasn't possible in the Main Window in earlier Logic versions.

...if just because Region/Selection borders can be precisely set, down to the sample level, in the Audio File Editor, which wasn't possible in the Main Window in earlier Logic versions.

Ah yes indeed. I also like that in the Audio File Editor you can turn on Preview and Cycle and keep adjusting the selection by ear until it loops rhythmically/musically, then use that function to set that tempo.