having trouble routing Duck by Devious machines in midi mode

SoSpiro
Go to solution Solved by SoSpiro,

This is my setup:

-Duck loaded as an instrument slot on an AU midi controlled effect channel. This channel is routed straight to my master output.

-synth channel on separate track routed straight to master output

-In the Duck sidechain, i choose the synth track in order to trigger the ducking of the synth. nothing happens.

what am i doing wrong?

What are you trying to achieve?

Normal setup is to insert Duck on the instrument slot of a software instrument channel strip, have the MIDI regions that trigger the ducking on that same track, and use the sidechain pop-up menu to select the audio signal you want to be ducked.

So for example if you wanted your synth to be pumping in rhythm with the beat, you program MIDI regions with a note on every quarter note, select your synth channel strip in the plug-in's sidechain menu, and do not route your synth directly to the Stereo Out.

What are you trying to achieve?

Normal setup is to insert Duck on the instrument slot of a software instrument channel strip, have the MIDI regions that trigger the ducking on that same track, and use the sidechain pop-up menu to select the audio signal you want to be ducked.

So for example if you wanted your synth to be pumping in rhythm with the beat, you program MIDI regions with a note on every quarter note, select your synth channel strip in the plug-in's sidechain menu, and do not route your synth directly to the Stereo Out.

i'm trying to sidechain the synth to my duck in midi mode. Does this only work with audio and not if my synth that i want to be ducked is still in midi?

ok so in this picture, as you can see, i have Duck on an external midi channel inside the instrument slot.

I have the "keys" >>>>>> "Keys bus" >>>>> stereo out

i have the Duck sidechained to the "Keys bus" channel (Bus 6)

I have the midi recorded in the duck arrangement. I have the envelope in Duck all the way down with amount at 100% meaning it should mute the whole "keys bus" whenever i hit a midi note when the duck channel is selected.....but nothing happens and it still plays.

1264820719_ScreenShot2021-09-24at8_25_34PM.thumb.png.8e32183751f686abce90c9abca305954.png

1408431785_ScreenShot2021-09-24at8_26_35PM.thumb.png.a7862af048e899a1ce5a5a169d7e65ca.png

i'm trying to sidechain the synth to my duck in midi mode.

That's a technical routing, but that doesn't tell us what musical effect you're trying to achieve?

Does this only work with audio and not if my synth that i want to be ducked is still in midi?

If the synth sound is the audio you want ducked then it has to be the audio signal routed to the sidechain. If the MIDI performance that triggers the synth is the data that triggers the ducking then you can simply move/copy the MIDI region on the Duck channel strip.

ok so in this picture, as you can see, i have Duck on an external midi channel inside the instrument slot.

I have the midi recorded in the duck arrangement. I have the envelope in Duck all the way down with amount at 100% meaning it should mute the whole "keys bus" whenever i hit a midi note when the duck channel is selected.....but nothing happens and it still plays.

I don't see any audio routed to Bus 6? Can you select the "Channel" I/O labels in your I/O label window, and take screenshots during playback/while playing so that we can see activity on your meters?

• Solution
i'm trying to sidechain the synth to my duck in midi mode.

That's a technical routing, but that doesn't tell us what musical effect you're trying to achieve?

Does this only work with audio and not if my synth that i want to be ducked is still in midi?

If the synth sound is the audio you want ducked then it has to be the audio signal routed to the sidechain. If the MIDI performance that triggers the synth is the data that triggers the ducking then you can simply move/copy the MIDI region on the Duck channel strip.

I don't see any audio routed to Bus 6? Can you select the "Channel" I/O labels in your I/O label window, and take screenshots during playback/while playing so that we can see activity on your meters?

my Keys channel was routed to my Keys Bus channel which was synonymous with bus 6. I deleted that project and am trying to replicate this midi ducking. it's a common technique called "ghost notes" for sidechain pumping.

here i have the "saw" instrument channel going into aux 1.

i then have duck inserted on an external midi instrument slot.

I have aux 1 selected as the sidechain in Duck. Now i have double monitors with the duck channel (inst. 2) and Aux 1 channel playing at the same time.

edit- i figured it out. i had to set the Aux 1 to no output. I really thought i understood routing, but apparently not with external midi instruments. Thanks for helping me with this, Dave.

1677783057_ScreenShot2021-09-28at8_07_24PM.thumb.png.09fc5932ccf91d0c014ca5a550acb6ce.png

edit- i figured it out. i had to set the Aux 1 to no output. I really thought i understood routing, but apparently not with external midi instruments. Thanks for helping me with this, Dave.

Ok great, good that you figured it out, and thanks for letting us know what it was.

Do you really need the send to Bus 6 though? If you're using a recent Logic version then you can choose your instrument track directly from the sidechain pop-up menu, no need to route to a bus first. And of course if you want 100% sidechained processed synth signal then you set the instrument channel strip output to No Output.

I can understand why this routing may seem a bit confusing at first, because basically it's a workaround used to route both MIDI and audio into the same plug-in, so they use the exteranl sidechain pop-up menu to route the audio from another track. It would make more sense (at least for my brain) if the processing plug-in was on the synth track and you could "sidechain" your MIDI notes to the plug-in to affect the way it processes the synth. Only... well there isn't anything like a MIDI sidechain, so that's why they do it the other way around.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok great, good that you figured it out, and thanks for letting us know what it was.

Do you really need the send to Bus 6 though? If you're using a recent Logic version then you can choose your instrument track directly from the sidechain pop-up menu, no need to route to a bus first. And of course if you want 100% sidechained processed synth signal then you set the instrument channel strip output to No Output.

I can understand why this routing may seem a bit confusing at first, because basically it's a workaround used to route both MIDI and audio into the same plug-in, so they use the exteranl sidechain pop-up menu to route the audio from another track. It would make more sense (at least for my brain) if the processing plug-in was on the synth track and you could "sidechain" your MIDI notes to the plug-in to affect the way it processes the synth. Only... well there isn't anything like a MIDI sidechain, so that's why they do it the other way around.

yea, it seems to be the only way i'm aware of. I am using Logic Pro 10.5.1 though.

I've tried the other way to no avail which is how i thought it would work too.