General MIDI question DIN/USB

kncar77

Hello.

I'm new to the world of MIDI and it's more than a little confusing.

I've got multiple pedals (Line 6 HX stomp, Eventide Time/Pitch/H9) and a keyboard plus a Behringer Xtouch, all connected via USB.

My audio interface is a Focusrite Clarett 8Pre (thunderbolt) and I've got a Kemper Amplifier. I'm trying to get everything to play together for tap tempo and program changes etc but can't figure out how to go about it.

Afaik Kemper doesn't support midi over USB so that one I need to be hooked up with DIN cables, but to what device? If I understand it correctly the Eventide boxes are either DIN or USB, bot not both at the same time.

So my thought was to have two DIN (in/out) between the Kemper and the Focusrite, have all devices set to Channel 1 and then off to planet Mars but it's not playing ball.

Do I need a specific MIDI controller or can I route everything within Audio MIDI setup in System preferences somehow?

I.e, if you've got say 10 different MIDI devices hooked up via USB, are they suppose to be able to communicate with each other as long as they are on the same channel?

For example, I've got an expression pedal for the HX stomp, Mission EP1-L6 which doesn't work hooked up directly to Kemper, only to Line 6 (TS vs TRS issue I believe). If I connect the HX Stomp with the Kemper via MIDI DIN-cable I've been able to use it as an expression pedal for Kemper (Wah) by sending CC1 out of HX stomp. But without the DIN I can't get them to communicate even if the Kemper is connected with DINs to the Focusrite interface. Isn't that possible?

So at the moment HX stomp -> Kemper (MIDI through) -> Clarett.

The light on the Clarett is lit up suggesting it senses MIDI in

Next issue, in logic pro x I create a new external MIDI track, ch 1, hit record but no midi data is being recorded.

What am I missing?

Probably something trivial but I can't figure it out.

Cheers

Let's set aside for now why this setup is not ideal (MIDI topology wise) and focus on the Logic issue.

If you connect everything as described (HX stomp -> Kemper (MIDI through) -> Clarett) and you move the expression pedal: is there MIDI activity visible in the Logic transport LCD? Depending on the way the display is configured it should show either a dot or the actual data.

You need to use the same DIN connection for all the devices to the Clarett (via either a merger, thru box or both if it needs to be bidirectional) so that all devices are on the same MIDI port. When you use USB MIDI connections, each device is on it's own MIDI port. Each port supports 16 channels. If you set all devices to channel 1, that is channel 1 on their own port.

You need to use the same DIN connection for all the devices to the Clarett (via either a merger, thru box or both if it needs to be bidirectional) so that all devices are on the same MIDI port. When you use USB MIDI connections, each device is on it's own MIDI port. Each port supports 16 channels. If you set all devices to channel 1, that is channel 1 on their own port.

Is there a way to bridge them together?

They all appear in the audio MIDI setup so I assume there would be a way to get them to communicate between the buses, no?