Help me continue on LOGIC PRO

Agent 2121
Go to solution Solved by Homina,

Hi all. I am new to this group/forum and joined because of a serious issue affecting my music productions.

I began using Logic Pro e magic (Logic pro platinum 5.5.0) in 2002 on a HP pavilion Intel Pentium 4 pc 2.4GHz 512mb ram Windows xp

Most of my productions were done on this machine and I am still using today.

The issue is because twice I have tried to upgrade onto Apple due to Logic owned by them.

1. Macbook pro 2007 Logic pro 8

Issue was this Mbp had known issues with Nvidia GeForce gpu and dead.

2. Couple of years ago got MBP 2011 high sierra with Logic pro x then omg this mac famous for similar issue with AMD Radeon GPU.

Now im not happy as my journey on logic pro is paused.

I now am looking at trying again but very reluctant to get apple again but logic pro needs.

I only need to run logic pro x same as my last version on high sierra or sierra quad core 8gb 16gb ram suits my needs .

I have an offer of a hakintosh (£200) special price as the processor ram and graphics free just case psu cooling hd needed. Imac 27inch mid 2010 refurb high sierra 3.2ghz 8gb ram (£170) or mac mini 2012 2014 £130 to £200.

Any advise for a machine to run logic pro 10 x on £200 to £300 budget. Offline work not want to do updates as they just make it worse.

• Solution

If you stick with an earlier macOS and version of Logic, you have to live within those limits. Later versions of plugin software sometimes will not function with earlier versions of Logic. You won't only be stuck with a less-capable version of Logic, you'll also have to function with earlier third-party software. If those restrictions really don't matter, the information given earlier in this thread is solid. The machine characteristics mentioned would be sufficient for you within your small budget. If those restrictions do matter, or if they're likely to matter later on, you'd be well-advised to reconsider staying with Logic. Later versions require more powerful machines and OSes, and they're consistently more expensive than their PC counterparts. It's unlikely you'd be able to acquire a suitable machine within your budget.

The risks with a Hackintosh amplify all of these issues. You'd be on your own, both for the PC and the Mac software, as neither will be supported by their manufacturers for your purpose. The few people I've known with Hackintoshes didn't stick with it beyond an OS or program update; it was just too demanding and time-consuming. As Apple or another software vendor changed things they were constantly pulling their hair out over some incompatibility or slippery problem.

triplets, my 2017 MacBook Air is also dual core i5 – I wouldn't say that it's very weak for Logic. I've never faced any serious issues with it.

Of course it depends on what kind of productions you work with. But it should be clear that we are not speaking about commercial studio use in this thread – I assume that anybody with a budget of 200-300€ isn't planning a commercial studio gear.

A bit OT, but IMO a lot of folks complain about this and that, when it comes to computer power. Personally I don't think that that's the core issue – the core issue is your working habits. With most of DAWs, including Logic, it's possible to overcome many limits of "weak computer" – as you surely know.

Firstly thank you all for advise and so quickly.

I have been producing tracks since 1993 starting on Amiga 500 with Octamed software with various hardware (roland r9 - Akai 3000s- Yamaha qy70 - )

In 2002 I got my first PC Hp pav mentioned after trying Qbass Reason I got a copy of Logic pro platinum 5.5.0 and bingo 300 plus tracks made.

Then Apple ruined it with 2 mbps with serious graphics issues famous 2 models 2007 and 2011 still trying to find a fix for 2011.

Using logic 8, 9 10 was great and spec wise not matter tho last version of logic x on macbook pro 2011 high sierra i5 8gb was perfect.

Updates are not my thing solid state offline

So mini mac looks good although my hakintosh build wont go online its set up to be as my last mbp 2011 was just 16gb ram instead.

triplets, my 2017 MacBook Air is also dual core i5 – I wouldn't say that it's very weak for Logic. I've never faced any serious issues with it.

Of course it depends on what kind of productions you work with. But it should be clear that we are not speaking about commercial studio use in this thread – I assume that anybody with a budget of 200-300€ isn't planning a commercial studio gear.

A bit OT, but IMO a lot of folks complain about this and that, when it comes to computer power. Personally I don't think that that's the core issue – the core issue is your working habits. With most of DAWs, including Logic, it's possible to overcome many limits of "weak computer" – as you surely know.

I know about weak processor and RAM...

2.4Ghz Pentium 4.. 512Mb ram sound blaster 2 audigy sound card Logic pro 5.5.0 windows xp home. 20yrs and still going. Logic 8 9 10 love it but Apple are rotten although the Hp pav has never been online or changed the only fault was recently £2 fix battery on operating system boot up board.

My goal is Mac pro 5.1 quad 16gb just what osx to choose sierra or high sierra

Had some troubles with peripherals USB on high Sierra seen lots of posts online similar same issue. My M audio midi keyboard usb suddenly after no issues was not being found only when I was trouble shooting thats when I saw update for i tunes and Safari sercurity prompt so naturally did but thats when my 2011 Macbook Pro went into boot up loop (not related) seems to be AMD Radeon GPU known issue now its sat in a case for last year whilst I try and understand the piles of posts online to maybe get it going.

But high sierra with no updates sounds best.