MIDI/Audio Latency issue

jordanstanleyrh

Hi - new here and I've been having some latency issues recently that I can't seem to solve!

First of all, these issues only occur when I open an existing project. Opening a new project works fine which I find quite strange.

When I play my MIDI keyboard, both the audio interface and Logic register me playing a note in real-time, however, the audio of note is delayed. Additionally, if I were to record audio from the synth into the Scarlett I find that the interface registers the audio input on the device and allows me to hear the audio in real-time, but Logic still gives me a delay when I play back any recordings.

I have played around the I/O Buffer Size but with no joy. I have also tried switching off every other track in the project but I still hear the delay. This has only started happening over the last month and was working perfectly beforehand.

Any help would be massively appreciated!

I am using the following:

DeepMind 12 (as my MIDI keyboard)

Scarlett 8i6 Generation 3

Logic Pro Version 10.6.3

Apple iMac using Big Sur Version 11.1

This issue applies to many of my existing projects and I would guess that most of them have an Adaptive Limiter somewhere, or more likely, an Izotope Ozone 9 on the stereo out.

Do you reckon this might be the cause of the issue? How would I remove the latency without having to do without the effect?

You can't. The plug-in needs time to process the audio, so it will always created latency if you're using it in real time. Just don't use those plug-ins while recording (you can use Low Latency Mode to temporarily bypass the latency inducing plug-ins while recording).

You can mouse over an insert to tell exactly how much latency that plug-in creates. Here my Adaptive Limiter is set to a 176ms lookahead, which means it's programmed to buffer 176ms of signal before it can start processing it, so it will always create a 176ms delay between the time I play a note and the time I hear it:

1339894369_pluginlatency.png.858c67b94fd053b843ad049867a8ad2e.png

Hi David - thanks for your reply.

I will definitely try to not use these plugins while recording in the future but is there anything that can be done with the existing projects that can revive them and allow me to work on them without this latency? This hasn't been an issue until around a month ago which I find quite unusual.

After looking at one of the main projects in which I have been trying to resolve this issue I can see that I have Adaptive Limiters on several tracks as well as Izotope Ozone 9 Elements plug-in on the Stereo Out track. When I disable these plug-ins and play my midi keyboard with a basic Logic synth it still gives me a lot of latency with the audio registering on the Volume Faders (the MIDI notes are registered immediately on my interface and the MIDI Activity Display). This occurs even without recording - simply just playing the MIDI keyboard into logic.

When I disable these plug-ins and play my midi keyboard with a basic Logic synth it still gives me a lot of latency with the audio registering on the Volume Faders (the MIDI notes are registered immediately on my interface and the MIDI Activity Display). This occurs even without recording - simply just playing the MIDI keyboard into logic.

Yes, that's normal behavior. Turning the plug-ins off does not remove the latency. You have to use Low Latency Mode (in your Record menu).

• 1 year later...
On 9/24/2021 at 7:22 AM, David Nahmani said:

You can't. The plug-in needs time to process the audio, so it will always created latency if you're using it in real time. Just don't use those plug-ins while recording (you can use Low Latency Mode to temporarily bypass the latency inducing plug-ins while recording).

You can mouse over an insert to tell exactly how much latency that plug-in creates. Here my Adaptive Limiter is set to a 176ms lookahead, which means it's programmed to buffer 176ms of signal before it can start processing it, so it will always create a 176ms delay between the time I play a note and the time I hear it:

1339894369_pluginlatency.png.858c67b94fd053b843ad049867a8ad2e.png

Hi when I hover over like this, nothing appears?  I have Settings > Display > Shoe Help Tags enabled - is the correct option?

5 hours ago, space said:

Hi when I hover over like this, nothing appears?  I have Settings > Display > Shoe Help Tags enabled - is the correct option?

Hm, that's interesting. Do you have Quick Help on by any chance? If so, try turning it off ('question mark' button at top, default shortcut shift-/, aka '?'). What I'm seeing is that when Quick Help is on, Quick Help seems to take the place of the plugin/latency information, but rather than showing that information, it just shows some generic information. Seems like it might be an implementation oversight. Anyway, try turning off Quick Help if you have it on and see if that helps.

Edited by scg

1 hour ago, scg said:

Hm, that's interesting. Do you have Quick Help on by any chance? If so, try turning it off ('question mark' button at top, default shortcut shift-/, aka '?'). What I'm seeing is that when Quick Help is on, Quick Help seems to take the place of the plugin/latency information, but rather than showing that information, it just shows some generic information. Seems like it might be an implementation oversight. Anyway, try turning off Quick Help if you have it on and see if that helps.

Thanks for the tip, I just turned off Quick Help to check it - when I hover over a plug-in, the plug-in name appears above it, but nothing about samples/latency. 

23 minutes ago, space said:

Thanks for the tip, I just turned off Quick Help to check it - when I hover over a plug-in, the plug-in name appears above it, but nothing about samples/latency. 

You're on a different version than me (10.7.6 vs 10.7.7), but for what it's worth, I only get the latency info when the latency is non-zero. If you want to check this yourself, try Vocal Transformer - if latency info is working for you, you should get it with that plugin.