Analyse audio levels

fourdogslsong

Have you tried 'Normalize Region Gain'? Select 1 or more regions, choose 'Normalize Region Gain' and decide what you want to modify. I generally choose Peak, each region, and set the peak to -9. All the regions will be normalized to have the peak RMS be -9 dB - non-destructive, amount of gain change is indicated in the region inspector.

Normalizing an audio file is destructive. Using the Audio File Editor to check the maximum level works, you get a value, but an awful lot of work.

When I first import tracks for mixing I *do* turn the Master fader all the way down and let all the tracks "play" through. The mixer window shows me all of the peak levels. I let that "run" while I am color-coding tracks and arranging them in the proper order, but it turns out I almost always set all of the faders to -6 and normalize the regions to -9 anyway. If I want to "clip gain" a region I generally do that by creating a region (Marquee tool) and clicking on it. If I have the Region Inspector "out" as a floating window I simply click on the gain entry and use the mouse to drag the gain up or down.

Thanks for the info guys but as I said I'm not looking to modify gain, I'm looking to get a region analyzed offline to know what the level is.

In protools you simply select a clip, go in audio suite / gain and you have the option to analyse the clip, it gives you the peak and the RMS value of the clip in about 2 seconds, super easy.

Alternatively, is there a way to analyze a full region offline with a third party plugin like izotope insight?