Bounce sounds different outside of DAW

ms449

I know this is a sticky subject from the searching I've already done for a solution. I'm sorry to bring it up again but I'm at my wits end.

When I Bounce > Project or Section... the resulting file sounds noticeably different outside of the DAW on both studio headphones and monitors. The stereo image is less wide, the sound seems to be louder in the center, and the longer reverb trails are absent. When I drag the bounced file back into Logic, it sounds correct and passes the null test.

I figured this was an Apple Music or Finder playback problem, but when I uploaded to Bandcamp to test, it sounds like the worse version (even though it passed the null test in the DAW...)

It is a single track with one bus to an aux track that has a single instance of Space Designer. I also tried bouncing in place first because of the nonlinear reverb.

Bounce settings: Wave, Offline, Normalize Off, 24 bit, 44100, Interleaved, tried with and without dithering.

Any help you can offer will be much appreciated. Thank you in advance!

When I drag the bounced file back into Logic, it sounds correct and passes the null test.

So since we've established that the file itself is indeed ok, there' s only the playback chains reacting differently. What device do you use to play Logic audio and what do you use to play system audio, which is used by Apple Music, Finder and a browser playing Bandcamp stuff ?

Ok so keeping in mind that an audio file is made of zeroes and ones, and that neutral playback device such as Logic Pro with a new empty project, no plug-in and all faders set to zero, QuickTime or Quick Look merely transfer said zeroes and ones to an audio interface, I cannot think of any reason for the file to sound different.

Did you try both QuickTime and Quick Look?

Yes, I tried both QuickTime and Quick Look. You see why I'm at my wits end!

A further wrinkle- I just tried the same headphones (DT 880s) plugged into the headphone jack of my Mac mini with the Sound output set to External headphones. The file sounds like the good version, no matter where I play it back- in the DAW, Quick Time, Quick Look, and Apple Music. I swear I'm not going crazy though it certainly feels like it...

Thank you all for your help; I'm sorry to be exasperating. After testing on multiple computers, speakers, and headphones, I decided to release as-is. (This is my usual practice by the way, not my first release. I wish I could play the versions for you so you can see I'm not crazy.) If you care to hear the end result, PM and I'll shoot you a link!

• 8 months later...

Hey bro! I’m having EXACTLY the same problem. I am using the same out put for monitoring with monitors and studio headphones ADT 990 pro and Yamaha HS5 also I am using sonar works and EVERYTHING has the same settings and routing. And I don’t know what to do. 
do you know anything about alternatives outside logic for recording the computers internal audio in real time and with the exact same quality? 
please man. I am truly desperate:(

Guys, could it be that this is a bouncing issue? In the bounce dialogue there are many options, go through them carefully. (Normalize, include audio tail etc…many more). 
Another thought: could it be a third party plugin with a glitch when bouncing? Try bouncing in real time and immediately listen to the result with quick look. Select file in finder then spacebar.