Logic forgets to return automation to normal at right angle point

gg333

I'm about to lose it. As many do, I have right-angles within my automation. Sometimes, at these right-angle points, Logic forgets to automate. I am currently trying to bounce my entire track to send off for professional mastering and every single time- at the exact same point near the end, and on the exact same set of bus tracks, Logic does not return the automation to normal. I have tried everything to fix this: adjusted audio buffer size down to 1024, tried setting plug-in latency compensation to 'all', tried putting little micro automation curve ramps at the right angle point, nothing works. Oddly- if I play back the track from 30 seconds prior to the problem point, the problem does not occur. But when playing back the 6 minute track from the beginning, or bouncing from the beginning, the problem occurs at 5:07. I should add- I am on paid legit Logic 10.6.1. I am aware there is an update available, but am afraid to update until completing this project.

Sometimes I'm so upset with myself that I invested 10,000+ hours into learning production on this program and not Ableton. It's insane that as professional audio engineers we have to deal with issues like these. I have tried everything under the sun and do not know what the culprit is- or what to do. Please help, thank you.

Also included is a dropbox link to a video of it happening. At the end of the video, you can see the automation should return to normal per the right-angle points, but does not if you look at the numbers on the left side of the screen. Included a screenshot as well.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xb89bx2tu226c8y/IMG_6792.mp4?dl=0

1370288639_ScreenShot2021-09-23at12_36_39PM.thumb.png.a95ccd5005a51083a2bbbe4aeb689011.png

1306157142_ScreenShot2021-09-23at12_29_03PM.thumb.png.d1263bb2e411c16345eb9f5284507435.png

1658010917_ScreenShot2021-09-23at12_28_45PM.thumb.png.7f57f8519fec7fa642ef02a0aec4ae4a.png

Have you tried different track mode (track vs region)?

Have you tried bouncing in place individually the problematic tracks?

I don't use region based automation, everything is track based. The issue is that even if I bounce in place the software instrument tracks- the issue is taking place on the group bus they are all going to. So the same result will happen.

I feel your pain. The love I had for Logic has long since been replaced with indifference. Typing that first sentence, I honestly realized the only reason I still use Logic is because my frustrations don’t yet outweigh the effort to leave for another DAW.

Anyways, rant aside, here’s some random things I’d try that have helped me in the past with automation issues like this:

Edit: I made a quick video of these two troubleshooting steps plus some more below.

1) Adjust one of the automation points at the 90° angle. Any random frequency, the point is to change it and see if Logic still doesn’t adjust it when bouncing. Basically trying to see if you can force logic to see a change and print the automation correctly. If so then change it back to the value you want and see what results.

2) If I recall correctly, it’s not technically a 90° angle if you zoom waaaaay in on the automation points, otherwise logic will remove one point if they overlap. Zoom in all the way and see if adjusting the automation point ever-so-slightly in time (left or right) makes a difference. Again trying to make Logic see a change and print the automation change.

If those don’t work, then welcome to Logic Pro X project file troubleshooting. I’m sure other users can throw out some things to try like importing the problem tracks into another project, so on.

If you must journey down the troubleshooting path, may the DAW gods be with you.

Edited by RobertAnthony